Tuesday, January 26, 2016

little by little

It's taken me a while, but I'm finally starting to get back to the fit, healthy person I was a couple of years ago. If I re-read some of my old posts from 2012 as I was starting to get in shape, losing weight, and adopting a healthier lifestyle, it's definitely disheartening that I let all of that hard work kind of fall to the wayside last year. It feels like every time I work really hard to get down to a healthy weight I tell myself this is the last time, and it never seems to stick. And it takes getting back up to my highest weight ever to give me the kick in the pants that I need to do something about it.

In September, I found myself at an all-time high weight. About 15 pounds higher than my old all-time high weight, when I started working out with a trainer in late 2011. 2012 Anne is shaking her head at me, giving me a huge "WTF????" As it always does, the weight snuck up on me. Except that I had to keep buying new clothes a size up. So it shouldn't have been a huge surprise, but I tend to find myself in denial about weight-related things a lot. I wasn't even weighing myself for a while because I just didn't want to know.

Even knowing that my weight had gotten so out of control last fall, I couldn't seem to get into a good, healthy groove. I'd work out for a few days, feel good about it, but then something would come up that would prevent me from really getting into the habit of doing it regularly. This attempt to start running again failed after a couple of weeks because I just couldn't stick with it (enter excuses such as work, shitty weather, life, etc.). I just didn't want it enough.

But as 2016 began, I turned a corner and am finally (for real this time, guys, I swear) getting back on track. After months of inviting me to return to her group fitness classes, I finally gave in and took Kim's fitness boxing class. I kept finding reasons to shoot her down, but the more I thought about it, the more I wondered why I wasn't going. Was I afraid of being so grossly out of shape that I couldn't keep up? Heck, even when I was in my best shape, Kim's classes were challenging! And if I was afraid, what better environment to dive back into fitness in than by taking a class taught by a friend? So on January 2nd I went to class, kicked some ass, and started to feel like me again.

I'm boxing my friend Melanie over on the left in the bottom picture
(pictures from Kim)
I've since gone to 3 of Kim's boxing classes, and have a few more on my calendar (thanks to the 10-class punch card I purchased). After nearly a year and a half without a group fitness class, I forgot how awesome that environment is, and how motivating it is for me. Working out with a bunch of really strong, fit women made me want to be like that again too, so it's made me continue working out in between classes.

I'm also finally starting to run again. I had been doing occasional run intervals on the treadmill for a little while. Then a couple of weeks ago when we had one of those rare warm winter days, I ran the 1.6 mile neighborhood loop without much trouble. It felt awesome and exhilarating! I decided to train for my town's 5k at the end of February, and yesterday actually ran a full 5k again for the first time since I don't know when.

Aforementioned warm, sunny day
The other thing that's different from all of my previous attempts to get back into shape over the past year is that, by sticking with it and eating better (mostly by skipping seconds and limiting my portion sizes), I'm actually seeing results! I'm feeling better and more fit each time I work out, and to date I've lost 11.4 pounds. I still have another 40 to go (yikes), but if I can actually stay on track this time, I think I'll get there.

10 comments:

  1. Way to go Anne!!! Group exercise totally helps hold me accountable. (I vote for Kim to do another blogger class hehe!) And that last photo? GORGEOUS!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe you should join us for boxing sometime :)

      Delete
  2. I was like, "where is Kim in the boxing picture?". Then I realized that she was probably taking the picture! Yay, that you are getting back into running, and that you are signed up for your neighborhood 5k! For training, are you doing some run/walks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was teaching and taking pictures! That's the hard part, obviously ;)

      My training is going to be 3 runs/week with walks and strength filling in the other days. In general though, my runs are all run/walk for now, but I'm hoping to be able to run the entire thing by race day.

      Delete
  3. LOVE this post! Especially that you are feeling better and fit (YAY!) and that working out with strong, fit women is inspiring you! I am so pumped after those boxing classes! It's hard not to feel like you can do anything after (until a few hours later when you can't lift your arms, then wonder how you'll ever do anything physical ever again).

    Thank you for the shoutout, and for coming to classes :)

    I think if you are getting in to a groove now, when the weather is shit and we are lucky to have a sunny warm day means it will come even more naturally once the weather starts to cooperate! You are doing a great job getting back at it and I love hearing about it! And feeling so great can be your reminder when you think you are going back to a place where you care less (not trying to be pessimistic - we all have those stages) - just keep telling yourself how good you feel when you work out a bit and eat one serving of your awesome cooking. Seriously, that is what I am constantly telling myself!!!!

    Keep it up! And yay for 5K training!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I think you've cultivated a really supportive community in your classes! :) That's kind of how I felt taking classes a couple years ago, but I was more in my own world, doing my own thing (and cracking jokes, of course). I like being paired up, and find myself feeling happy that my partner is kicking lots of ass too!

      Feeling great and accomplished because of fitness was what I was missing all along. I knew that, but just couldn't find the motivation to do anything about it. But your class was exactly the push I needed to start feeling that way again.

      Delete
  4. You know my thoughts on this from DM but seriously - you got this! I am all in your corner cheering for. Also, a little jealous of going to Kim's class. (I want to make something like that work, but my husband's schedule is wibbly-wobbly at best and makes it hard to plan things. Something else on my list for when my kids are older!)

    The weather has been tough lately. Bitter cold and cloudy. It'll get easier!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well I go to Kim's class on weekends, maybe one would work for you sometime? They're definitely a lot of fun! I have the same problem during the week - work is sometimes way too unpredictable for me.

      Delete
  5. Ah this is so awesome! I got pretty excited to see you posting again on dailymile. It sounds like you're setting yourself up for success. I'm looking forward to hearing about your progress! You got this!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm excited to get back into shape and running a little more regularly again - I miss the high and the community for sure!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?