Tuesday, March 31, 2015

Take Time Tuesday: March

I've been wanting to blog more lately, but haven't been able to find the time or motivation. But when Katie mentioned that her "Take Time Tuesday" series was going to be monthly, that seemed like an easy enough way to get back into it. The theme this month is "Feelin' Lucky," and although this month hasn't been easy, I do still feel so incredibly lucky for where I'm at in life.

I spent the first week of March in California visiting my brother and saying goodbye to Carrie. It was really hard at times, but I'm so thankful I was even able to do that. If this had happened at another time in my life, I may not have had the resources to travel cross-country on short notice, so I'm glad that I could go. It was probably one of the most meaningful weeks of my life. Carrie was under hospice care while I was there, but I was able to sit with her for a few hours each day. We had some of the most awesome heart-to-heart talks while I was there, but knowing this was the last time I'd ever see her just broke my heart.

One of M&C's dogs feelin' Lucky (because that's his name)

After 3 years and an incredibly hard and strong fight against lung cancer, Carrie passed away last Sunday. Yes, she did get a lot more time than originally thought—and we are all extremely grateful for that—but it still sucks nonetheless. She was such an amazing, sweet, kind and inspiring person. She was always full of advice and insight, and helped me sort out my own life a lot, just by sharing her wisdom and experiences with me. I can still hear her voice telling me to be happy and not waste my life, and I'll never forget that.

Carrie and me in 2012
The thing about losing someone is the instant perspective you gain. All of life's minor annoyances suddenly seem so trivial and stupid; and all of the big things are all that more important. One thing I've been extra grateful for lately—the most important thing—is my family and friends. I learned the news about Carrie from my brother while on the way home from visiting my parents in Ohio last weekend. I took my new(to the blog) beau, T., to meet my parents, and we all had a really great weekend together. Like, probably one of the best trips to Ohio I've had in years. Obviously Carrie's situation has affected all of us, as being with my family feels like it's so much more important and precious than it used to be.

I was so thankful that T. was driving us back to Illinois when I talked to Matt last Sunday. I've made that trip so many times by myself, but there's no way I could have done it alone that time. I was a constant mess of crying, laughing, sharing stories, needing music and wanting quiet (and, if we're being honest, needing some mid-drive Dairy Queen to cheer me up), and I feel so incredibly lucky to have someone so supportive to be there for me. 

When we returned home to Illinois, we toasted Carrie with a bottle of Madeira that she picked up for me. She had taken me wine tasting in Napa a few years back and remembered how much I enjoyed the Madeira, so of course she got me a bottle, just waiting for me to visit and pick it up. It only seemed fitting to save it for something special.


Losing Carrie sucks and has been harder than I ever could have imagined, but I do feel so incredibly lucky to have known her the past several years, and to be able to call her my sister.

Wow, that was heavy. What's making you feel lucky these days?

12 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry for your loss. :( i can't imagine how difficult it is to lose someone close to you. So wonderful you got to spend some quality time and have some positive memories with Carrie. Hugs to you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, it definitely hasn't been easy, but I've thankfully had a ton of support. I think the hardest part is accepting that she's actually gone. That doesn't seem real yet.

      Delete
  2. Oh Anne!!! BIG HUGS!!! So sorry to hear about Carrie's passing. I know how special she was and how much she was like a sister to you. I can only imagine how difficult it must be for you to go through this. But I am so glad that you were able to spend those last few days with her having those great heart-to-heart talks. It sounds like she has inspired you in countless ways that you will take with you for the rest of your life. It's so great to hear that you had such a wonderful visit to Ohio! And ooooh on T!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks so much, Emily! I've heard from a lot of Carrie's friends and family just how special she was to them, so we were all very lucky to know her. She reminded me just how important family is, which I had lost sight of for a while there (and oooh, she really liked T. too, so I was happy they got to meet)

      Delete
  3. Sorry to hear about Carrie's passing. Sounds like an extraordinary person who made this world brighter by her presence in it. Very cool that you and Mr. T. had the Madeira in her memory.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, Mr. T. I have no idea how I didn't think of that sooner.

      Delete
  4. You've done some amazing things recently and Carrie was a huge part of that. Which means that while it totally sucks that you can't see her or talk to her any longer you are carrying a piece of her with you always. And if you're the type to believe that people who are gone still get to see the awesome things you're doing, well, you're really lucky in that regard, too. Because you know Carrie is cheering for you and smiling for you :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That seriously brought tears to my eyes :) It'd be impossible to know someone like Carrie and not feel like she's always with me, or always having an impact on my life. I told her about some exciting things I have planned this spring/summer and she said she'd be there, so I do hope that spirits can live on like that.

      Delete
  5. I've always loved hearing your stories about Carrie! Even though I never met her, I could just tell what an awesome person she was by the way you gushed about her. How incredibly lucky, indeed, for you and your whole family to have her in your lives for those short years. It's so fantastic you had that bond and it sounded like she was always the friend you needed, no matter the situation. I am smiling just thinking about what a great treat it is to have someone like that. I'm so sorry she's gone. I wish I could give you a hug! It sounds like you celebrated her life in a great way this weekend, and like T is giving you awesome support :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She was an amazing person who overcame a lot herself. A lot of her friends and family have said that she was a good listener and was always giving them advice too, so I think it was just in her nature. It is really rare to have a friend like that - always supportive, doesn't judge, and just wants the best for you. Thanks for the hug, I definitely can't get too many of those :)

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?