Friday, December 2, 2011

Would You Dare to Take a Little Journey?

Yesterday I took the first step toward self-improvement: I met with a personal trainer at my gym.  I know exercise in and of itself doesn't seem like a huge deal, but the trainer's philosophy seems to be that, while improving the body, you can improve the mind and spirit as well.  My overall goal in working with a trainer is to improve my health and lose 60 pounds.  I've set and achieved big weight loss goals in the past, but always just looked at it in terms of how my diet should change while I'm working toward my goal.  I started adding in exercise, but still looked at it on the short-term.  Weight loss through short-term thinking is pretty much destined to fail, and that's what has happened every time I've tried before.  I'd lose the weight, go back to my old ways of thinking and eating, and slowly put it back on.

And it's not just about eating better and exercising more.  As anyone who has ever seen an episode of The Biggest Loser (or any kind of makeover show) knows, in order to make such a big change in yourself, you have to make a lot of little changes in everything you do.  And it needs to be done in a way that's sustainable on a long-term basis, otherwise all of the hard work that's done will be for nothing when all the weight comes back.

So my first step, before I do even one exercise with the trainer, is to adjust my way of thinking.  I don't want to just lose weight now, I want to lose it and keep it off for life.  I want to be healthy.  I want to lower my risk of the heart problems and diabetes that are running through my family.  
I want to change.


Title Track: Midnight Voyage by the Mamas & the Papas

5 comments:

  1. Anne! I am super proud of you. And I am willing to be supportive however I can (from over 700 miles away, of course). You can and will make these changes. Go you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What an interesting approach...I'll be around to cheer you on. And there's Rad. I've missed you both!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Terri: I've missed you too, glad you popped in. I hope you're doing well, and thanks for the support!

    Rad: You're already super supportive, so just keep that up!

    ReplyDelete
  4. The first step is wanting to change...so kudos to you for that decision. I am on a get healthy track too and I feel so much better about myself mentally and physically.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also on the "get healthier" bandwagon! I am with your trainer - my mood and outlook on life are so much better when I'm eating nutritious foods and exercising regularly.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?