Last year as I was approaching my 30th birthday, I was a bit shocked that I was about to reach such a seemingly grown-up age. Where had the time gone? I was reminded of this while watching an interview this morning on The Today Show with Glamour editor Cindi Leive, discussing the book 30 Things Every Woman Should Have or Should Know by the Time She Turns 30, which came out today.
I know now what my 29 year-old self wasn't totally sure about: 30 isn't old! And though I have more responsibilities as I get older, I'm still having just as much fun as I did before. I did have some pretty big life events happen after I turned 30 - buying my first home, adopting a second dog and getting engaged - but it doesn't feel all that different than 29 did. But the further away I get from my early 20's, the more I realize I've grown up a little and learned a lot.
Originally published as a list in the magazine, Glamour asked well-known and prominent women for advice for those about to turn 30. Things they wish they had known and done. According to Leive, the 5 major themes in this list of 30 are:
1. The ability to fall in love without losing yourself
2. The confidence to quit a job
3. The comfort of living alone
4. The knowledge your body is beautiful
5. The belief that you deserve it
I agree with everything on this list, but the thing is, if our older selves could somehow travel back through time to tell us these things that have been learned, would we listen anyway? Or are these all lessons that need to be learned the hard way?
The first couple of major relationships that I was in, while 20 and 22, definitely saw me losing myself and compromising on my beliefs and values. The second one ended disastrously, forcing me to pretty much start my life over. But if I hadn't gone through all of that, if I hadn't first dated guys who didn't respect my opinions (or in one case, acknowledge that I would even have my own opinions) or care about what I wanted to get out of life, would I have known what an awesome catch I found when I met Bob? Would I appreciate his constant love, support and encouragement as much?
My first real job out of college gave me a constant sense of accomplishment and achievement, people started thinking of me as some sort of expert, and some of the people I worked with then have become lifelong friends. When I got an offer to work at a firm downtown, making more money and having more responsibility, I decided to take the chance. But I didn't burn any bridges. I was grateful for all of the opportunities and experiences that my company had given me, and I told them as much. Six months later when the new job turned out to be too much to handle, thanks to a Type-A boss who thought every minute of my life was her time and constantly belittled me, I called my old boss. He was more than happy to help me find a new position at my old company, and though I didn't have anything officially lined up, I wasn't afraid to quit my job to get out of a bad situation. I knew something would work out, and it did.
After living in Chicago for almost a year, my roommate moved back to Ohio, leaving me on my own. It really sucked at the time, and it was hard to suddenly make ends meet on my own with higher rent and needing to buy things like furniture and dishes, but if that hadn't happened, I never would've had the chance to truly live on my own and earn everything I had. I lived alone for 3 years before Bob and I decided to move in together, and I'm so glad I did. I learned how to manage a budget, take care of things that broke around my apartment (since I didn't have the luxury of the internet then, this usually involved a call to my dad, but I got to be pretty handy nonetheless), do things for myself, and enjoy my own company. I firmly believe everyone should live by themselves for a while, just to know that you can do it.
#4 is one that, although I have learned, I struggle with. There's been many times over the years where I just haven't thought that's true, or I've had to re-teach myself that. And now that I'm making my body stronger and healthier, I definitely think a lot more highly of it, and want to continue taking care of it. So while "beautiful" isn't the descriptor I'd always use, I value it.
"Knowing you deserve it" seems kind of vague, but it's an important thing to keep in mind. It's come up in the past in the form of "I deserve better than this" or, of course, "I've worked hard and earned this," such as a big thing like a promotion at work, or on a smaller scale, when I'm treating myself. Another way to look at this is to remember to put ourselves first from time to time. A lot of us might put the needs of others ahead of ourselves, but this is a good reminder that we, too, deserve a little time, love, and any opportunity that may come our way.
Whatever your age and place in life, what would you add to this list? What do you wish you had known when you were younger? What lessons have you had to learn the hard way?
Oh, Anne, what a wonderful, wonderful post. And I think the list is good as is. I'm well past 30 myself, but I don't know that I have anything to add. I have done most of the items on the list, some before I was 30, some after and some more successfully than others, with the exception of # 1. I think I still struggle with that one which is probably why I'm still single; which I guess is a blessing actually.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, loved reading this. Thanks so much for sharing.
But like GI Joe says, knowing is half the battle! So it sounds like, knowing this can happen, you're staying single until someone comes along who doesn't want you to lose yourself. You're so awesome as you are, I can't imagine you having to sacrifice that for anyone.
DeleteI wish I had waited to buy a house. We bought when I was 25, at the height of the market. In hindsight I should have been more patient, and enjoyed being able to move around.
ReplyDeleteI know so many people in the same boat! It's funny that, to me, moving around every couple of years seemed like such a hassle, but it was nice not being tied to any particular part of the city. The neighborhood where I lived alone was pretty seedy, so I'm glad I was just renting there.
DeleteI want to re-read this when my brain is less fried and will respond then. For now, thank you for all the food for thought, especially since i'm turning 35 this week!
ReplyDeleteHappy almost birthday, Kelly!
DeleteThis showed up on my Google Reader at an opportune time, Anne =) I was at a conference last week and my colleague and I (OK, colleague, friend, conference roommate and the mother of my goddaughter) were reading the Glamour issue that recently covered this book. Glamour had a bunch of more specific "by the time you're 30" mile markers that ran underneath the article, and we were annoyed by it because we'd barely met any of them. I think that's the problem with being in academia -- in many, many ways we stay in this extended adolescence for ridiculously long. E.g., I'm 30 and I live in a falling-apart house with roommates, don't have a 401(k), live at roughly the poverty line, don't own nice luggage or even an umbrella that opens correctly, own exactly one nice suit I never wear, generally can't afford to dry clean my items that are supposed to be washed that way, and on and on.
ReplyDeleteWhen the list isn't as specific as the markers in the Glamour article (Glamour literally said that, by 30, you should have luggage and an umbrella that you are not ashamed of . . . and I thought of my suitcase with the two broken zippers and my umbrella with the end that pops off . . . booo), but rather is the five themes you mention, I do a little better -- but only barely. I pretty much am only really sure I'm good with #3 (but I can't afford to live alone right now anyhow!). I don't know if I buy #5, though -- I don't deserve my career, and if I thought I did, I wouldn't be successful. Success in my book comes from working your ass off, not thinking you deserve anything. But there I agree that #5 is vague and there may be more positive ways to interpreting it, like some you mention.
Anyhow, I guess my point (if I had one ;) is that 30 isn't necessarily the critical point for everyone. It definitely gives you pause, but then in the second after that pause, you have to remind yourself that it's all context specific. And that some people just figure life out a bit slower than others, whether because of their own predispositions or the constraints of their career paths or both.
Those "mile markers" sound annoying and a bit too specific. I don't have a suit (I did, but being at the same business casual job for years on end means I don't need one), don't dry clean anything, have a crappy umbrella that I bought at the outlet mall, and have mismatched luggage that I got on clearance. And I'm not sure how any of that indicates that you've reached adulthood.
DeleteBut I agree that the timeline could definitely shift for a lot of people. But I wouldn't say an academic is slower to figure out life than others, and I'm so envious that you all have actual careers that you're devoted to. I have a job that pays my bills, but I still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up.
I think it took me until age 40 to believe I deserved anything! And there was a connection between that and finding the love of my life. While I learned a lot in my 30s, I often tell people, I didn't consider myself a full-fledged adult until age 34 or so! Yikes! It is amazing how the maturing process just happens without trying too hard.
ReplyDeleteI definitely don't consider myself a full-fledged adult. How do you even tell when it's happened?
DeleteI just turned 31 and I don't have an umbrella at all. What to do???
ReplyDeleteI am happy to be growing as a person, and happy that the things on this list are coming along (#3 was easy, 1 and 2 took some work, 4 and 5 are still challenging), but I think saying they're things that ought to be done by a certain age is just a way to sell magazines/cause insecurity, not a way to live life.
I guess you'll just melt when it rains :)
DeleteYou make a good point that I really wish I had addressed. I definitely disagree with the idea that one should absolutely know or have certain things by a certain age, but I did like the ideas that they talked about (again, just in this interview I saw, not having read the book or the magazine article) as lessons that many of us do learn at some point. I was being introspective about my life, but definitely not saying anyone should be at any specific place in their lives by the time they turn 30.
Right, I certainly didn't think YOU were suggesting that :)
DeleteGood to hear! :) I got a couple similar comments so I worried that I wasn't clear about it.
DeleteI've only got four years to accomplish all that?
ReplyDeletei am so screwed.
I'm so glad to hear that you found your way and got to the great place you are in now!
Chic on the Cheap
I think you're doing just fine!
Delete30 is not that old...please...I am way past that! I do agree that for you to live life to it's fullest and be happy, there are things one should attempt to learn/do. But, I hate when they say to to do them by a certain time...too much pressure. I think we are constantly learning and changing!
ReplyDeleteWho said 30 is old? My takeaway was that as we grow, we learn these things, though not necessarily by a certain age, and they certainly don't have to be done by a certain age.
Delete