When I originally signed up for the half, I thought maybe I could complete it with a steady 12:00 pace. As I got more long runs under my belt, I realized that probably wasn't possible, so my goal was somewhere around 13:00. But when the event alert level for the race was announced to be red/high alert because of the predicted hot and humid weather, any kind of time goal went out the window. At that point, my main goals were just to finish, and to do it safely. And I'm happy to say that I accomplished both of those things.
| {source} |
We headed over to Gear Check for the Chicago Running Bloggers meet-up, but before I could even say hi to any bloggers, I bumped into my mom's cousin Barb. Barb and her husband (also Bob - ha!) came from Michigan to do the half. She's pretty much my role model for how I want to be when I grow up. She's in her 60's and still does races and triathlons, and she and her husband travel everywhere.
![]() |
| Photo borrowed from Barb's facebook |
After chatting with Barb and Bob, I made my way over to the bloggers so we could snap a few photos before the race.
Some shots of our matchy-matchy ensembles. The tanks are Fila via Kohl's, and the sparkly purple flowers came from a shop somewhere in Boystown.
And here's me and Bob, the best spectator/chauffeur/race photographer/walking gear check. Bob's doing his first half in August (and yes, I will be lording it over him that I've done one and he hasn't until that time), so I have some pretty big shoes to fill as far as spousal race support goes.
My parents came from Ohio for the race, and my dad found us right as we were getting ready to head to the start line. My parents have never run, but I'm glad that they got what a big, important thing this was for me. My dad said he probably wouldn't be able to see me at every race, but he was happy to come to the first half. He spectated with Bob for a while, and I think he had fun.
But enough about all the cool runners and spectators, on to the race! Going with the strategy of starting slow with hopes of finishing stronger, Kim and I lined up at the back of the pack. And at 6:30, we were off!
I felt really good through about mile 8. For a lot of that part of the race, I knew I could push myself a little harder and go a little faster, but I wanted to conserve energy. I had a good eating/water/gatorade strategy, and all of the misters and volunteers with hoses along the course helped us stay cool. Then right before the mile 8 marker I just kind of melted down. We hadn't seen much shade for a while, and I knew there wouldn't be much, so all the hot, direct sun was just getting to me. And the thought of running 5 more miles like that was just not great. I will say that, at no point did I think I couldn't keep going and finish. But I knew it was going to be hard. And as much as I had prepared myself for the less than ideal conditions, and lowered my expectations, it was still frustrating. But this is exactly why I asked Kim to run my first half with me. I knew that if I was having a hard time, she'd be there to help push me. She kept me distracted with great conversation, and reminded me of all the times that we'd met up after work to just run 5 miles, and of course I could do it. I can't thank Kim enough for running with me yesterday! Of course I could have done it on my own, but I wouldn't have had as much fun without my non-sister race twin (or anyone reminding me to eat, or watching my form to make sure I wasn't hunching over, etc.).
Not long after mile 8, someone came running alongside us and said "Not to be creepy, but I saw your outfits on Instagram last night!" So that was pretty cool, and we chatted with her for a little bit during a walk break. We started running again, and the next few miles were just rough for me. I loaded up on water and ice (thanks for the tip about icing down your sports bra, Maggie - it totally helped!) everywhere I could, and just kept pushing.
To talk about the race itself for a minute, I've never had a bad experience with a Fleet Feet event, and this was no exception. They're always very well organized, and this race in particular had some awesome volunteers. I give them so much credit to hang out in that heat for several hours, just to help runners stay cool, hydrated and motivated. The race packet included a really nice shirt and a Sweatybands headband. The after-party had all kinds of goodies, including an ice cream truck, which was perfect on a hot summer day. And look at this medal!
| Xaarlin, Kim, me, Maggie, Chris, Christina, Erica |
Some shots of our matchy-matchy ensembles. The tanks are Fila via Kohl's, and the sparkly purple flowers came from a shop somewhere in Boystown.
And here's me and Bob, the best spectator/chauffeur/race photographer/walking gear check. Bob's doing his first half in August (and yes, I will be lording it over him that I've done one and he hasn't until that time), so I have some pretty big shoes to fill as far as spousal race support goes.
My parents came from Ohio for the race, and my dad found us right as we were getting ready to head to the start line. My parents have never run, but I'm glad that they got what a big, important thing this was for me. My dad said he probably wouldn't be able to see me at every race, but he was happy to come to the first half. He spectated with Bob for a while, and I think he had fun.
But enough about all the cool runners and spectators, on to the race! Going with the strategy of starting slow with hopes of finishing stronger, Kim and I lined up at the back of the pack. And at 6:30, we were off!
Bob and my dad caught us just after the start line. Obviously we were pretty hard to miss. We started out at a low 11:00 pace, thanks to the race adrenaline, so Kim slowed us down to a 12:00 mile. To be honest, I didn't really pay that much attention to our pace or time for most of the race - just how I felt. I knew it'd get hot and humid, and I knew that a lot of the course wasn't shaded, so staying cool and hydrated was my top priority.
![]() |
| Runners along the lake - we're in the bottom left corner |
We saw Bob and my dad again at around mile 2.5. This is where Bob amusingly told us we're almost done. Yep, he's THAT spectator.
I felt really good through about mile 8. For a lot of that part of the race, I knew I could push myself a little harder and go a little faster, but I wanted to conserve energy. I had a good eating/water/gatorade strategy, and all of the misters and volunteers with hoses along the course helped us stay cool. Then right before the mile 8 marker I just kind of melted down. We hadn't seen much shade for a while, and I knew there wouldn't be much, so all the hot, direct sun was just getting to me. And the thought of running 5 more miles like that was just not great. I will say that, at no point did I think I couldn't keep going and finish. But I knew it was going to be hard. And as much as I had prepared myself for the less than ideal conditions, and lowered my expectations, it was still frustrating. But this is exactly why I asked Kim to run my first half with me. I knew that if I was having a hard time, she'd be there to help push me. She kept me distracted with great conversation, and reminded me of all the times that we'd met up after work to just run 5 miles, and of course I could do it. I can't thank Kim enough for running with me yesterday! Of course I could have done it on my own, but I wouldn't have had as much fun without my non-sister race twin (or anyone reminding me to eat, or watching my form to make sure I wasn't hunching over, etc.).
Not long after mile 8, someone came running alongside us and said "Not to be creepy, but I saw your outfits on Instagram last night!" So that was pretty cool, and we chatted with her for a little bit during a walk break. We started running again, and the next few miles were just rough for me. I loaded up on water and ice (thanks for the tip about icing down your sports bra, Maggie - it totally helped!) everywhere I could, and just kept pushing.
Just as I wondered if we'd see Bob again before the finish line, I spotted him at mile 12.5 or so. Seeing him was a huge energy boost, so I'm glad he was able to come out and find us again (as I think the Glympse I had sent him expired before it was supposed to).
![]() |
| Tying a good shirt cape is another reason to run with a friend |
As we kept going, we saw more and more finished runners who told us that we were actually getting close to the finish (not like Bob telling us that 10 miles ago, ha!), so it was easy to keep going at that point. Right as we were approaching the finish line I noticed Maggie on one side, and my parents on the other. I can't say enough how awesome it is to have people cheering you on, so it was so cool to see them. And on that note, I'd like to say thanks for all of the encouraging and supportive tweets/texts/emails before and after the race - it was so cool to think of how many people remembered that I'd be running and took the time to wish me well!
![]() |
| Approaching the finish - photo by Maggie |
We finished in 3:17:39. Not at all the time I thought we'd have, but I think that's okay considering the weather. We saw some runners being taken off the course by the medics, presumably from heat exhaustion or dehydration, so finishing slow was better than not finishing at all.
I've been sort of joking that this would be my first and last half, but if anything, all of the conditions that made Sunday's half what it was just make me want to give it another shot when the weather isn't so awful. And I think I'd pretty much have to PR next time, which is reason enough to give it another try. So I'll be looking for one to do in the fall, hopefully late enough in the year that I don't have to do any of the really hard training while it's still summer.
![]() |
| Our medals match our nail polish! |
So, what's next? Of course I'll be looking for that perfect fall half, but I'm also planning to work on speed at shorter distances in anticipation of the Zooma 10k in August (um, unless that falls on a sweltering hot day too, which it might). I'm going to give the long runs a little break, and stick with distances that I enjoy more, around 5-6 miles. And now that my schedule is freed up a little, I'm excited to add more classes, biking and swimming back into the rotation.








The shirt cape is always a great look! Great job finishing in one piece! The heat is a challenge for everyone, especially mentally. You have a great experience to remember and next time you'll be like, this is nothing like that first time when...
ReplyDeleteNow get a swim in and cool off!
It's all about looking good! :) And I'm definitely keeping this race in mind as perspective for future races.
DeleteCongrats on your first half. The conditions were not at all ideal and just finishing in those temps is an accomplishment. It is fantastic you had so much on course support!
ReplyDeleteThe support was a huge boost, so I'm glad I picked a race where I'd know so many people!
DeleteI've had three of my four halfs in stupid hot temps, and I know firsthand how hard that makes it...I'm so proud of you for completing your first half marathon, especially in that weather - you worked so much harder than you would have, had it been a fall/winter race. Huge congratulations on crossing that finish line with a smile on your face! Loved your outfit, from the matching tops, to the nails, to the cute hair flowers - way to make it fun!
ReplyDeleteRock on, Miss Half-Marathoner!
That seems a little more inevitable in Texas though - it had been unseasonably cool here until recently! That's the kind of crapshoot that Chicago weather is, I guess.
DeleteFirst off, Huge congratulations on running your first half! Second, you are a super smart runner. The way you altered your goals for the race is something it seems very few runners are able to do- instead they the think they are super human and end up with heat related problems/injury. Kudos to you for running a smart race :)
ReplyDeleteIt was nice to see you before the race yesterday. I absolutely loved yours and Kim's tanks/flowers! You both looked totes adorbs :)
When's your next half? Hehe they are addictive- especially when you have a bad weather one.., then it becomes "maybe the next one will have awesome weather" :)
Congrats lady!
Yep, I definitely feel the need to redeem myself in better conditions. A lot of my long training runs were so good that I'm sure I'd have a great time if it weren't as hot/humid/sunny. I haven't even begun to look at fall races just yet, so suggestions are more than welcome :)
DeleteI think following along with everyone else's running has helped - everyone has so much good advice and experience! And even my own bad runs helped make this one not as bad as it could have been.
You did it!!! Congrats!! Kim is a great race buddy so you made a great choice to run with her. And that's awesome that your parents came out to cheer, too.
ReplyDeleteAnd it sounds like maybe you've caught the half marathon bug??
Maybe... if the right one presents itself :)
DeleteCongrats on your first half! You guys looked great. What a hot day, it sounds like you adjusted you expectations to fit the conditions. I look forward to seeing which race you pick next. You will totally do another. ;)
ReplyDeleteOh probably - all the excitement around it is pretty addicting. And I still can't believe it's already over! It reminds me a lot of my wedding - weeks of planning and anticipation, and it's all done in a few hours!
DeleteHi there... relatively new reader here :-) found your blog a few days ago and read your 2012 weight loss story - SO impressed.
ReplyDeleteSo - congratulations on your first half marathon! To a non-runnner like that sounds very impressive!!
Hi Maria, thanks so much for your comment! It's still amazing to me that anyone even reads through the weight loss stuff, so I'm happy to hear that! Do you have a blog I could check out?
DeleteExcellent job finishing your first half! It was a scorcher yesterday so finishing is a HUGE accomplishment! When's the next one?? Hehe... Look for a HUGE time drop! :)
ReplyDeleteI'm hoping so! Based on my 12 mile run, I was guessing my time in good conditions would be around 2:50, so it'd be awesome to see that much time come off!
DeleteYay! So happy for you- you look SO happy at the finish line!
ReplyDeleteThe heat makes a HUGE difference! It was about 80-90 the day of my first marathon and I knew I could've done better if I had better conditions. So, another (cold) marathon is one of my goals for the future!
I've never been happier to finish a race :) I didn't know your first marathon was so hot too! What a way to start!
DeleteCongrats, Anne! I am so happy I could be there to run your first half with you! What an honor. And yes... this one was NOT ideal conditions. A higher heat, high humidity (it was 90% when we started, I checked on my phone) and lack of shade? Yucko! You did awesome pushing through all of that! You will be amazed how much easier the next, cooler one feels. My advice is to get up to half training distance (8-10 miles) when you feel like it again (in Sept? Oct?) so that you can jump in on a half that has idea temps, like... register a few days before. Setting goal races in advance is HARD! You never know what they day will bring!
ReplyDeleteAnyway! Be super proud of you and wear that medal this week. Take it to CA to show Carrie. Brag to Bob. A lot.
I love that your parents came. Mine came out here for my first 5K and HM (but not marathon! Ha!) and it meant SO MUCH to me. It's so nice to have friends and family thinking of you, even if they don't understand your passion for what you are doing. :)
The instagram girl was so fun. We should have made more conversation yesterday with other peeps. That always gets my mind off things! :)
Enjoy your 10K training! I am looking forward to our next run together. And you coming to my class MUAHAHHAHAAH.
Oh. And Henry. My only complaint is that he wasn't there as promised.
It was definitely an honor on this side of the table too! It meant a lot that you ran with me at a time of year that I know you don't normally race, and certainly at a pace that you don't typically run, and you even came to the city! And all of that to help me accomplish a pretty cool goal that I swear I just set :)
DeleteThat's interesting advice to just be ready to run a half when a good one presents itself. Hmmm. That's sort of when I was thinking I'd start upping the distance again (of course, I'll throw in a long run here and there as the weather allows), but it feels so weird to me to NOT have the exact race picked out and planned. But obvi as I learned yesterday (and even with the Shuffle and my first week of training), you can't always plan things!
I'll definitely check out your class when I get back! Maybe sometime in July? Let me know when it'll be a full hour of burpees!
Oh. And this is awkward. Henry was holding our table for brunch. He was pretty bummed you didn't come.
Ha ha ha. It may not be good advice. But it's what I do ;)
DeleteW.T.F. Have I not seen any pics of you and Henry because you didn't want to upset me? Did you tell him that the vanilla clif shot gel reminded us of him?!
Hahahahaha about the vanilla clif shots! THAT is why you're so fun to run with :)
DeleteAnd there are no pics of me and Henry. Bob was all weird about not wanting to take pictures of me and my bf.
Hee hee hee. I am giggling over all the inappropriate jokes we made yesterday.
DeleteBob is such a party pooper. Sigh. Next time.
Yeah.... but that was definitely the best :)
DeleteCongrats!!! My first two halfs were in stupid hot weather to! Glad you finished!
ReplyDeleteI wish we both had better first halfs!
DeleteWay to go! Those medals are super sweet.
ReplyDeleteThanks, they really are! I only have a few, but it's definitely the biggest one too!
DeleteWAY. TO. GO!!!!
ReplyDeleteYou couldn't have paid me to run yesterday, much less a half marathon - the fact that you did, and did it in such a smart way to conserve your energy and endurance, and had fun - you did AWESOME! Congratulations - and I definitely think a fall one is a great idea. Possibly a turkey trot? Or I hesitate to suggest Team Ortho races like the Monster Dash or Polar Dash because they don't have a fantastic rep, but I ran the Polar Dash for my first half in January and the course is nice, so the Monster one probably falls around a good time of year plus the stained glass medals are kind of cool.
I think having fun is my main goal for most races anyway, but the weather made even that one a little tricky at times! I actually really like Team Ortho's mission, so I'll check those races out!
DeleteI was thinking about you all weekend!! I am so bummed that you got shit show weather for your first - but I am SO PROUD of you for gutting it out and being smart and doing everything in your power to get yourself to the finish line safely.
ReplyDeleteWhat Kim said about hopping in on a Fall half when the weather is looking good. You deserve the experience of really giving a race what you are capable of :)
But for now - CONGRATULATIONS!! YOU DID IT! (and that medal!?!? SWOON!)
Heh, "shit show" seems like an accurate description :) I really do want to see what I can do under better conditions, so at least something is pushing me to keep doing the distance!
DeleteWay to go on your first half! You should be so proud - especially in those conditions. I'm so glad you got to run with Kim, she is the BEST race buddy! You two looked adorable.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the amazing work - I'm sure there are many more halfs to come!
This was my first race with Kim, and it was a lot of fun! I have a feeling she's going to be a pretty popular pacer now that the word is out about that.
DeleteYou are Instagram famous! I love it!
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your first half. To accomplish that in those conditions is a HUGE feat! I am so excited for you! You had a great race buddy and pacer, too! Way to go, Anne!
I know, who knew?! I need to remember to hashtag more of my pics :)
DeleteCongratulations on finishing your first half!
ReplyDeleteYesterday's conditions were tough, so I definitely think you should have a half marathon rematch.
There will definitely be a rematch! Just a matter of figuring out which one...
DeleteWhat an amazing accomplishment! I am so proud of you! So great your parents came to cheer you on!!
ReplyDeleteWell, any excuse to visit Chicago :)
DeleteI'm so impressed with how you were able to change your goals to deal with the ridiculous weather. When I someday get around to my half recap, you'll see that I wasn't able to do that. It shows that you were so truly prepared for this - both physically and mentally.
ReplyDeleteHave you ever felt more proud of yourself and more high on an accomplishment? That feeling might get me to do another one someday. Might.
And you and Kim looked freaking adorable. The nail polish was a nice touch :)
You know that calling the weather ridiculous is my pet peeve!
DeleteI hope you do write up your race, I like having a record of mine to look back on.
I did feel a little overwhelmed by what a big goal and accomplishment this was. I can't think of anything bigger that I've worked so hard to achieve in a long time.
Way to go, champ! This is an amazing accomplishment, you did awesome. And while looking totally cute. Not too many people can pull that off! I'm very proud of you!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I'm proud of how cute we looked too :)
DeleteAwesome job! You definitely looked much cuter than I (think) I did at my first half. And to be ready to plan your next one -- cherry on top!
ReplyDeleteI think if conditions had been better I may not be as eager to get another one my calendar, but I still really want to see what I can do!
DeleteCongrats on finishing your first half! It would have been easy to quit since you had such rough weather conditions, but you did an awesome job with pushing through and finishing. Good luck training for your next race and with your fall half! Racing in good weather is so much better than racing in the heat!
ReplyDeleteI think it'd be just as hard to quit! They had the option to drop down to the 5k, but I would have felt worse letting all that training just go to waste. I can't wait to race again when it's not so hot out!
DeleteCongrats on being a half marathoner! Sunday was a HOT day for a race, so you get even more kudos for sticking it out! Also I'm glad you were able to ice your bra. It does help! And thanks again for the ride to the start :)
ReplyDeleteSeriously, I never would have thought to even ask for ice, much less shove it down my bra. Genius :)
DeleteWell I didn't think about it on my own, another blogger posted about doing that, I think during the 2012 Boston Marathon when it was so hot.
DeleteCongrats! You guys are so cute. I love that your parents came to support you. Way to succeed on such a major goal. On such a hot day! Super star!
ReplyDeleteThanks! Looking cute is half the battle :)
DeleteI wanted to comment sooner but I wasn't by a real computer. Congrats on your first half marathon finish!!! That definitely was a hot day for a race, but now there is lots of room for improvement. I love that you are already looking at fall races despite your "one and done" previous thoughts. This running thing is pretty addicting, amiright?! :)
ReplyDeleteI was only half-kidding about "one and done." :) I had a feeling I might like it...
DeleteCongratulations on your first half!!
ReplyDeleteThanks!
DeleteUgh, I ran this last year in the same weather- ouch. Good for you for making the best out of it! You and Kim are entirely way too cute as twinsies. Hope to meet up for a run soon!!
ReplyDeleteI did the 5k last year, so I had a bad feeling about the weather... which I totally ignored when signing up :) And definitely! I'm sure you need help exploring the prairie path, right?
DeleteCONGRATS!!!! You picked the hardest day for your first half (I wilt in the heat, it's true), and you ROCKED! So sorry that I didn't get to see you there, but we'll have to meet up again soon :)
ReplyDeleteNo kidding! I was looking for you once we started seeing runners after the turnaround - hope you had a good race! And we really need to get another beer run (or woodwind recital?) concert on the books soon :)
DeleteCongrats on your first half! I ran the race too & it was steamy. I ran it last year in similar conditions but I was pregnant, at least this year I just had to deal with the heat. I loved your matching outfits!
ReplyDeleteLast year was pretty hot/humid too, so that must have been rough being pregnant too!
DeleteWoohoo, congrats!!!!
ReplyDelete