But I'll admit, I've felt pretty discouraged about my running since completing the Women's Half in June. Don't get me wrong, it was awesome to be able to actually finish it, and I had a really fun time running with Kim, but when I think back to the actual running part of that race? Ugh. It was really frustrating that I had worked so hard and done everything right to train, and then crappy weather just derailed the entire thing. It took me a while to really get back into running, but I was starting to feel better about it once I got back into a training plan last week. Even so, I had a little anxiety going into the ZOOMA 10k this morning, and tried to keep my expectations super low because of how my last race went. So having a really awesome race, where I felt great from start to finish, was a huge boost!
I got to Montrose Harbor bright and early (well, early for me) at 6:30am to meet up with the Chicago Running Bloggers, and find my running buddy, Katie. I have to love a race at Montrose Harbor, since it's only a couple miles from my apartment,and thus a lot easier to get to than the downtown races (though the down side is that yes, I could just run this course for free on my own).
![]() |
| Photo by Kelly the Culinarian |
| Lining up at the start line |
As we were getting ready to start, Katie said that she'd like to run .9 miles, then walk the last tenth of each mile. So we mostly did that. Except that Katie's Garmin was dead, and mine isn't totally accurate, especially at races (since I use a footpod rather than GPS, and it probably needs to be recalibrated). I'm always a fan of a run/walk strategy, and having a walk break at every mile really helped break up the distance and helped the race to fly by. Funny thing to note about that though, it seemed like every time we were on a walk break, we saw a race photographer. So there will probably be plenty of official photos of us walking.
| The beach around mile 2 |
The course was an out-and-back along the lakefront trail, looping up north to Bryn Mawr, down south to the tennis courts just north of Addison, and back to the Harbor area. We ran along the lake on the trip south from Bryn Mawr to Foster or so, and the rest was on the the trail. It was somewhat cool out, but really sunny and humid (I think I saw the humidity was around 75% at the start of the race), so I was glad that a lot of the course was at least partially shaded. Running in direct sun for long periods of time doesn't usually go very well for me (um, see the Women's Half recap). The miles flew by, and before I knew it, we were finished! We spotted Lauren at the finish line, which was pretty cool. Our unofficial time was 1:22:28. Just a few minutes short of my predicted time, and definitely not bad considering I've only done one 6 mile run since June. Overall I felt really great. My legs weren't even that tired by the end of it, and I felt like I probably could have gone a little faster and a little further, both of which are good feelings at the end of a race. I'm really excited to see how I'll do at the Lung Run 10k next month! I'm also really glad to report that Katie felt good at the end of the race - she did great!
![]() |
| Photo by Katie |
And check out this bling! All finishers received a super cute necklace. ZOOMA also gave out personal best medals, to celebrate PRs and PDRs. This was my first official 10k, so I got a PR medal for that. I've got to say, all of these medals are getting pretty addicting :) How will I ever go back to running races without medals?
The goody bag at packet pick-up was pretty nice too. It included a tech tee (with accurate ladies sizing - YAY!), a water bottle, yoga mat, and reusable bag. And they offered it for a day at the Universal Sole store in Lakeview, so I didn't have to trek all the way downtown, which was much appreciated.
All in all, it was a really great race experience! ZOOMA was pretty well-organized, had plenty of helpful volunteers all over the palce, and all the perks and swag were pretty great.


It was so great to see you today! Glad to hear that I have someone for the "shorter distance" race options next time... loved getting the wine & massage when it wasn't very crowded!
ReplyDeleteYep, definitely! I'm fine with not running a half :)
DeleteCongrats on your first 10k! I've always found that to be a tough distance to pace.
ReplyDeleteI've heard that from a few people, but why is that? It's not quite short, and not quite distance? Hmmm.
DeleteCongrats on an awesome race! I was a ZOOMA ambassador last year and had a really positive experience, and I am glad you had the same this year:) I think 10K is such a hard distance, too, but you rocked it! What's next for you???
ReplyDeleteI heard nothing but good things about last year's ZOOMA, so I'm glad it was still good despite the move to Chicago :) I have a few shorter races on my calendar (a couple 5ks and a 10k), then another half in October!
DeleteI had such a blast! I feel really good now too! Ready to tackle my next goal- the sprint tri AND THE HALF! I made my decision today that I'm doing it. Sooo we should plan to do a few long runs together. Let's compare plans! Mine's a Google Doc- I can share and you can see where you match up?
ReplyDeleteYAY! I'm so glad you still feel good! :) You're going to do great at the sprint tri, and I'm glad you're feeling better about a half. Just keep up what you're doing! I'm doing a modified Hal Higdon Novice (between 1 and 2) plan. Send me your doc, I'd be interested to see what you're doing.
DeleteI'm glad you had such a positive experience and a PR :)
ReplyDeleteThe Fall will have some great results for you!
That's what I'm hoping!
DeleteCongrats on the PR! I heard the humidity was not very fun, but at least the race was so close. I would love to finally run a race in Montrose Harbor, as it is close to me as well. Maybe I'll run the F3 next year.
ReplyDeleteUm, the Lung Run is at Montrose Harbor :) It's a 5k/10k, perfect for someone getting out of injury jail...
DeleteThe "Lung Run" is in Montrose Harbor eh? That's good to know. I'll see how I feel and maybe make a last minute decision. :)
DeleteIt's also cheap, relatively small (only about 300 people did the 10k last year) and for a good cause!
DeleteYay for having an awesome race!! I don't know if I've ever done the shorter distance at an event with a longer distance but you're totally convincing me I need to do that now.
ReplyDeleteThe perks are definitely not bad! I think the only race it wasn't really to my advantage was the Hot Chocolate, just because it's ridiculously big (and I probably won't do it again anyway).
DeleteSo happy you had a fun race and felt good afterward! I am sorry to hear that the half left you so deflated. But! Ugh, that is the risk with hot summer races. They can demoralize you! I think it's good that you went in to this with no expectations, other than to have fun! It gives you so much more control over the outcome :)
ReplyDeleteThat PR medal is so cool! And I loved that the ZOOMA shirt last year had accurate sizing! That seems so rare these days. I suppose we should expect it at a woman's race though, right?
I am excited to run the Lung Run with you! :)
I know, I know, and I'll probably never sign up for a big summer race that far in advance! It really is a crapshoot. Especially this summer, it seems. But I'm bouncing back :)
DeleteI love the PR medal, and I think it's such a cool program to offer!
I'm excited to see you after you PR at the Lung Run ;)
Sorry, wasn't trying to be all "I told you so!" Just commiserating ;) At least August has been cool. It felt like fall this am!
DeleteI know you weren't, but you totally did! I think lightning struck when I was all like "Oh, maybe it'll be cool that day!"
DeleteHow fun to get a special medal! Anyone doing a summertime race has my sympathies...it's just plain rough to run in the heat and sun. Good job, Anne!
ReplyDeleteAnd summertime here isn't even half as bad as your summers! Saturday was decent weather for a 10k, but the half would have been pushing it - I was definitely getting hot toward the end.
DeleteCongrats on the auto PR! Seems like you had a wonderful time up atZooma! And you shouldn't let the women's half get you down. Those conditions were downright awful. Just imagine how nice your fall half will be after all these hot summer runs :)
ReplyDeleteI know, all the bad summer conditioning will totally pay off as the weather gets cooler (I keep having to run on the "hot" days as of late - boo!), but I think the Women's Half was so frustrating because I did everything right, but couldn't do anything about the dangerous conditions.
Delete