Over the past year or so, through my own experiences and
conversations with friends and family members, I've been thinking about
what it really means to be happy.
hap·py
- feeling pleasure and enjoyment because of your life, situation, etc.hap·py
- showing or causing feelings of pleasure and enjoyment
- pleased or glad about a particular situation, event, etc.
Are you happy?
Stop and think about it, seriously. Are you actually happy,
or are you just content with your life? Are things really great, or just not
too awful? Are you doing what you want, or are you just in a comfortable
routine? Are you making a big life decision because it will make you happy (now or sometime down the road), or because it's "the next step" or "just makes sense?"
Sometimes I get the sense that a lot of us settle for the
latter, maybe for a short period of time, or maybe for our entire lives. And I
think we deserve better. Knowing that I didn't try to be truly happy for such a
long time is something that I’ll always have to live with, but also something I
didn't realize I had been doing until I started putting myself first and finding real, true,
honest happiness.
I don't recommend taking lots of huge steps toward being happy all at once like I did (unless, of course, that's what you need to do), but if you're feeling stuck or stagnant, try to find something that brings you joy and you'll feel so much better for it.
I don't recommend taking lots of huge steps toward being happy all at once like I did (unless, of course, that's what you need to do), but if you're feeling stuck or stagnant, try to find something that brings you joy and you'll feel so much better for it.
| Columbia River Gorge near Bridal Veil Falls, Oregon, January 2015 |
Nice pic of those falls! Do you live in the Pacific Northwest already? :) Well said. If I wasn't so darn tired when I got home from work, exercised, walked the dog and ate dinner, and watched some tv, maybe I'd consider taking on some new challenge. Good to hear that someone has the get-up-and go to explore new and exciting things!
ReplyDeleteHa, not just yet! Though relocation to the Pacific NW sometime later this year is a pretty distinct possibility - just need to figure out timing and logistics!
DeleteIt sounds to me like you have more than enough enjoyable things already :)
Yay! It's funny to think about that difference. I think that sometimes the difference between happy & content is the commitment you make to it. Content is easy, but happy sometimes takes work (and pain) to get to. Gorgeous photo. Are you taking up hiking :-) I have also heard about this hobby called Orienteering, which is like hiking but you have a mission to get to certain points in a park or forest. I think.
ReplyDeleteI'm glad someone else gets it too! I think "what's wrong with being content?" is a pretty common response, but the difference is pretty significant.
DeleteHmmm, I think I've seen orienteering signs in a state/national park or forest at some point. Maybe I'll look into that! I do love hiking when I'm in a not-so-flat area, so that'd be a fun added challenge.
I totally agree with Lauren- being content is super easy but actually being happy does take work. I think you have to say no to things you "should" and really think about if choices make you truly happy. It's very easy to get caught up in those shoulds!
ReplyDeleteWell, being happy does take hard choices and willingness to be uncomfortable or go outside of your usual routine. But I think when things are right, it doesn't necessarily feel like work.
DeleteThe bottom line is, you gotta look out for number one. Always. No exceptions.
ReplyDeleteExactly.
DeleteSo I was keeping this post unread in my Feedly until I had time to actually sit down and read it ... and now I'm glad I did! Kind of better to read it now :)
ReplyDeleteI am super happy. Some days I feel like I don't deserve just how much happiness I have in my life. The only thing that keeps it from being so totally super perfect is not exactly being able to shout the why behind the happiness from the rooftops. Maybe someday.
However, I definitely had years where I was just kind of taking the next logical step, and eventually found myself pretty unhappy, as you know. Luckily I was able to work through that, without losing anything or anyone. Sometimes I think it was dumbluck when we got married 8 years ago. We had no idea what we were doing or where it would take us.
Glad you can see where I'm coming from here :)
DeleteTo be totally cheesy, I think everyone deserves to be happy. It's awesome that you were able to figure out a way to be happy! Many would give up one thing or another, but you did find a way to make things work.