Don’t worry about
what other people think; just be yourself. I think this is the most
important thing I could ever tell a younger version of me, or anyone else,
really. It doesn't matter what anyone else thinks of you, so stop worrying about
it or comparing yourself to others. And if someone wants you to be anyone other
than who you are, you don’t need them. I've lost myself a few times over the
years, and in hindsight, it’s pissed me off that I didn't have the confidence
to just be me.
| Gift from Mom and Carrie |
Don’t be afraid to change
your life or take a risk. I’m no stranger to taking risks or just totally uprooting my life, but I’ll admit, with a lot of the most recent changes that I
made, it took me a lot of time (and, if you know me, over-analysis) to work up
the conviction and courage to do it. I knew that I was unhappy, but doing something like getting
divorced seemed like a pretty big leap to take. Was I being selfish? Crazy?
Overreacting? Asking too much? Thinking that the grass is greener? The answer
to all of these questions is “no,” but big decisions are bound to bring a lot
of self-doubt. Making a change is hard, but if it’s the right thing to do – if you really believe
you’ll be happier away from your current situation – it’s worth the temporary
discomfort and inconveniences.
Always remember just
how awesome you are and how awesome you can be. I lost this for a really
long time. It’s not that I wasn't confident in myself or in my abilities, but I have at times somehow forgotten that I deserve better than what life was giving me. I think this is a reminder that we all need from time to time,
and I’m really lucky to have constant reminders of it now.
"Complacent" isn't good
enough. Never settle. It’s so easy to fall into a comfortable routine or
situation, and we all do it. This isn't necessarily bad, but you should always
ask yourself if you’re happy, or if you want more. If you’re happy, great! If
not, find a way to get there. It doesn't always have to involve a huge life
change; you may just need a minor tweak. But it’s always good to evaluate this
on a regular basis.
Never give up, you’re
stronger than you think. I don’t think there’s an area in my life where I
haven’t been able to apply this. I've gone from being sedentary and obese to
being able to run half-marathons, kick butt in HIIT classes, swim laps and even
dead-lift well over 100 pounds. In my career, I worked my way up from a temporary admin with a 3 month contract and no experience to a senior project manager with nothing but hard work and determination. I've been able to start over and re-invent
myself a few times, even when the odds seemed totally against me
(which people definitely told me at the time!).
Let go of anger, it’s
not worth it. It’s just not. I've wasted so much time over the years (and
yes, even recently) being angry about things that are in the past, out of my
control, or not that important in the grand scheme of things. All I've ever
gotten from being angry is stress, so what’s the point? On that same token…
Forgive yourself.
We all make mistakes, but the only way to move on to
better situations is to forgive yourself and let it go.
Don’t be afraid to
ask for help. If your friend or family member was in trouble and needed
your help, you’d do everything you could, right? Then why do so many of us feel
like we can’t ask for help when we need it? I ended up in Chicago in the first
place by taking my high school friends up on an offer to sleep on an air
mattress in their spare room while I looked for a job. I’m so thankful that
they were willing to help me out like that, because it led to a whole new life.
![]() |
| Not an air mattress, but totally on par with our decor |
Don’t forget about
your family. I've been guilty of this a lot over the years, and it wasn't
really until recently – with a lot of perspective from Carrie – that I realized
just how important they are. Carrie lost her own parents, but always took the
time to let my parents know that she was thinking about them. She’d call them
regularly, send them cards here and there, or pick up little gifts that made her think
of them. I always just assumed that my family knew that I love them and think
about them, but honestly, people don’t know that unless you tell them or show them in some way.
![]() |
| With my parents and Carrie in 2012 |
Be smart about money.
Of all of the life choices I've made, or situations I've found myself in, debt
is probably the longest lasting. I've had a pretty significant amount of debt
since I moved to Chicago in 2004, living many of those years
paycheck-to-paycheck, obsessively accounting for every single penny (thanks,
Excel!). In my early years here, I often did have to choose between groceries
and doing anything fun at all (thankfully my office used to give us free food,
so I could get away with skimping on groceries a little more back then!). I
didn't view credit cards as being “real money” until it was too late and I had
dug myself into hole after hole of debt. I've been working nearly half
my life and have nothing to show for it, which is a pretty sad realization. I’m extremely happy to say that as of mid-June, my debt will be totally gone. But it certainly took a long time, a lot of help, and some pretty aggressive penny pinching to free myself of it, and it’s the one poor decision that’s been the
hardest to shake.
Learn something and
move on. The nice thing about life is that we’re always able to pick
ourselves up, dust ourselves off, and try again. What’s even better is if you
can do that and learn something in the process, in hopes of not making the same
mistake again.
What would you tell your younger self?
What would you tell your younger self?




FANTASTIC list. I love the points about forgiving yourself and not being afraid to ask for help. I also love the point about learning something and moving on. I tend to have the mentality that if something goes wrong, I suffer in silence and just beat myself up over it with no end in sight. What good does that really accomplish, right? Much better to step back, identify what went wrong and how to do things differently next time, and then keep going forward. And there's definitely no shame in asking for help. Again, it's been a pride thing for me. But once I did have the courage to ask, most people were more than willing to lend a helping hand. And it made things so much easier for everyone!
ReplyDeleteOh, I've definitely been there when it comes to beating myself up over something. It's hard to step back sometimes, but it can be so helpful once you do.
DeleteUgh. I'm in the same money boat (well, still al little behind). I've been working for a decade, and have nothing to show for it, and a huge mountain of debt because we weren't smart about money in our 20s. Oh well. I try not to let it get me down. It is what it is, I'm not going to let it control me.
ReplyDeleteI hope you can find a way to get out of it, and soon. It feels really awesome to know that I'll finally be free of it, though it certainly hasn't been easy!
DeleteI think I would write pretty much the same points as you. :) #1 would also be the top of my list- I worried so much about what people were (or most likely probably were not) thinking about me. Efff them and live! I ain't got time to worry about how people perceive me.
ReplyDeleteTake risks. Amen! I'm so glad I had the cajones to pick up and move to SF. Best decision ever. To do something "risky" is freeing and makes you grow into a much better, confident person.
And yep. Being smart about money is so important. Now I'm nearly debt free I question every purchase and try to save as much as possible so I can be debt free and actually have a good amount of savings.
Too bad we didn't know all of this back then! But I doubt I would have listened to anyone ;)
I think a lot of people have worried/still worry about what other people think, which is such a shame! Life is so much easier when you don't give a F what anyone thinks, and make decisions based on what is actually best for you.
DeleteYes to risk-taking and moving somewhere new! Totally agree that it gives you confidence. If I could do that, what else can I do?
Congrats on being almost debt-free too! I'm the same about all of my purchases because I don't want to slide again.
Xaarlin is right about as kids we would we really have listened? However, I think that high school should require a course in basic personal finance. I remember a college professor on the first day of finance class writing on the chalk board showing what happens when you put $2,000 into savings for 5 years and then never save another dollar your entire lives. By the time you are 65 it turns into $1,000,000+ (thanks to compounding interest over 42 years). This one example stuck with me, even though I didn't really start to realize it was important years later when I tried to take out my first mortgage!
ReplyDeleteOf course we don't listen to this stuff when we're young! Other people's experiences can't possibly apply to me, can they? Oh...
DeleteTotally agree about a basic finance class in either high school or college. I took mostly humanities and social sciences so I didn't really learn anything about money or finances, or how to be a responsible adult. Thankfully I at least started saving for retirement early since I work for a retirement/benefits firm!
This is such a good post, Anne. Seriously. And especially on a practical level about finances. Really well done!! (And I am all for requiring basic finance courses for high school and college students...I think many of us can easily look back on our monetary decisions of yesteryear and say 'the hell was I thinking?!')
ReplyDeleteYes, I know a lot of people who have been in similar situations financially! My school and parents didn't really get into much about it with me either, so I had to learn a lot of this the hard way.
DeleteThanks for linking up, Anne. I found writing my post to be pretty cathartic. I had been thinking a lot about it.
ReplyDeleteI am so fortunate that I met Neal in the 90s. He has never been in ANY debt and since ~1999 neither have I (just the mortgage) and I have to say I was not headed in that direction before I met him.
#1 is so hard... I feel like my 40s have been pretty liberating - something for you to look forward to!
The best thing for you is that you are 34 and you have many years to put these lessons to good use.
Thanks for the inspiration, it was such a good topic to think about! I don't necessarily have regrets about things I did when I was younger, but certainly wish I had been smarter or done things differently.
DeleteThat's very lucky that you met Neal young! I didn't have any good financial influences until the past year or so, but better late than never I guess.
Yes to finally realizing #1! I know it takes a lot of people a long time, if they ever get it at all.
What a great post, Anne! So many things I want to be reminded of every day. I would tell my younger self to love and accept herself. I spent way too many years trying to perfect and pleasing everyone.
ReplyDeleteI think a lot of us have struggled with that, especially while younger. I'm glad that you get it now though! :)
Delete