The editor-in-chief, Jessica Sebor, said as much:
"There's a stereotype that all runners are skinny, and that's just not the case," Sebor said. "Runners come in all shapes and sizes. You can go [to] any race finish line, from a 5K to a marathon, and see that. It was important for us to celebrate that. I think that every woman goes to the magazine rack sometimes and feels like she can't see herself in the cover images. We wanted our readers to feel like they could see themselves in our cover." {source}And I am happy to finally see someone who looks "like me" gracing the cover of a fitness magazine, or occasionally modeling clothes for some of the online retailers I shop at (not many, mind you, but some at least). But I also think it's a little sad that this is big, breaking news. A magazine having a plus-sized woman on their cover shouldn't be a "powerful statement," but in our society, it is. If we just accepted our bodies--no matter the shape or size--in the first place, this kind of thing wouldn't be a big deal.
And it's this lack of overall acceptance that makes some people think they shouldn't run or be active in the first place:
"Some women believe that since they have curves they can’t run or shouldn’t run. Running is for every body anytime." {source}I remember being so nervous the first time I went for a run around my old neighborhood. Would people see me and know I'm not a runner because I don't have a "runner's body?" Except that if I'm running, I am a runner. And surely people at the gym must have thought I didn't belong there when I first started working out because I wasn't already ripped. I even had the same thought the first few times I swam laps at a Park District pool - these high school-aged lifeguards are going to know I have no clue what I'm doing and probably laugh at my horrible form because I don't look like the typical swimmer. But I quickly got past feeling self-conscious and kept doing all of these things because I enjoyed them. Who cares if I'm a little heavier than the person on the treadmill next to me, or if I don't have a six-pack like someone else in my gym class? Why can't we all just be comfortable in our own skin?
It's not loving our bodies for what they are that also makes so many of us double and triple check photos of ourselves before posting online, because someone may notice what we perceive to be our flaws. Oh no, if I post a picture of myself in a sleeveless shirt, people are going to notice right away that I have arms that aren't super-toned! Do I wish my arms were more toned, like they used to be? Yes, of course I do. But that's on me to change. And chances are most people aren't going to notice or care about my arms, because I know I don't care about anyone else's arms.
![]() |
| *Gasp* please don't look at my arms, stomach or thighs! Or do, whatever, IDGAF |

Amen!
ReplyDeleteYeah... people need to stop thinking other people actually care what they look like. LOL. I saw a post from another blogger this week pointing out all the flaws in their picture. That just made me sad. I seriously don't notice those changes (weight changes/appearance) in people. Any time I see someone working out, I think "good for them!" (or, if I am sitting in my house "I wish that was me," and then there is the occasional "where is their helmet?!" "Why are they running WITH traffic?!"). But it seems some people are so ingrained to think everyone else gives a sh*t about them. So... yeah. That's not gonna change.
ReplyDeleteI thought it was cool they had that model on the cover too, but had the same "eh, is this really news?" reaction. Did you see the article in the recent Runner's World about this blogger (http://fatgirlrunning-fatrunner.blogspot.com/2015/07/people-are-watching.html) who is heavier, and runs? I found her story interesting, because I've had similar reactions about my running - why aren't you skinnier, how are you fast in a 5K even though you're heavy, etc. So I guess those questions defeats what I said in the first paragraph that no one cares. I guess judgey, sad people, care. I just don't care what they think.
I rarely notice stuff like that in other people, and honestly, I don't always notice it if I'm looking at a picture of myself. Like, I know I've gained weight because the scale and my clothes tell me so, but I can still look at a picture of myself and think I look good. And lately my thoughts have been along the lines of "Why are you running so late in the day? It's WAY TOO HOT!"
DeleteI don't think anyone has directly asked me why I'm not skinnier from running or working out, but I used to get the "Are you running to lose weight" reaction all the time. Which I wasn't. I could just be happy being a size 14, and run or work out because I like it. But people will always have their own judgments and preconceived notions about things (like people asking why you aren't skinnier for being a vegan, etc.), which is on them.
I give anyone credit for running, swimming or lifting weights. There will always and forever be millions out there who can out run me, out swim me and out lift me. Some people are naturally blessed to excel at certain things, or they put in a lot more work into their endeavor in order to excel. If I worry too much about what they think of me and me pathetic attempts their sport, I would probably just stay home! Self-improvement is all I focus on, since it is the only thing that is (mostly) in my control. I say kudos to anyone who runs 100 feet or 100 miles per week at whatever pace makes them feel good.
ReplyDeleteSelf-improvement, exactly. There's some inspirational meme out there that says that the only person you should be competing with is yourself, which I totally agree with.
DeleteOne of my favorite quotes is "You don't owe prettiness to anyone." http://dressaday.com/2006/10/20/you-dont-have-to-be-pretty/ Look pretty for yourself, but you don't owe it to anyone else to look a certain way. And no matter what you look like, someone somewhere isn't gonna like it. Who the F cares. You do you and all that.
ReplyDeleteIt's true, haters are always gonna hate. I like this though, and I've always tried to subscribe to that. Like, sometimes I like getting all dressed up, and it's not to impress anyone (and there were certainly several years where no one noticed or cared what I looked like), but just because it makes me feel good.
DeleteI wish I would have seen an article like this back when I first started exercising - I was so embarrassed to be seen in public with my overweight body, actually exercising! I was sure everyone was judging me for the wrong reasons...sigh.
ReplyDeleteI hear you.... I felt that way when I tried going to the gym in college, and before finding my perfect, friendly gym in Chicago. I'm glad you pushed past it and kept going!
Delete