Friday, March 8, 2013

Why Do I Do This To Myself?

I've had some crazy intense workouts that have basically kicked my ass this week, leaving me pretty sore and worn out.  Tuesday my personal training session was 100% strength.  I'm not sure we've ever done that before (my trainer insists we have), but damn was that hard!  And also really good for me, because I've got cardio more than covered on my own.  But it was so intense, my arms and legs were like jello by the time I was done.  I'm not joking when I say I could barely lift a jug of milk to pour myself some when I got home.  Despite that, I went back for kickboxing the next day, which was so hard and exhausting since I was still sore and a little tired.  While foam-rolling later, I wondered why on earth I do this to myself?  But feeling sore because of a good workout isn't the worst feeling in the world - it means whatever I'm doing is working.  And as I watched myself in the mirror during Tuesday's strength session, I noticed that I look like a total badass.  I feel strong and fit when I work out, and it's pretty awesome.

{source}
And that's certainly not the only thing I get out of exercise.  I've made no secret of the fact that work has been pretty intense over the past month or so.  The good news is, all of the craziness is coming to an end next Friday, ready or not, because it's our government deadline.  But getting to the deadline is going to involve a lot of work.  Today, for example, I've been working so hard that I just finally sat down at 4pm to eat lunch - several bowls of cereal.  On top of all of this, I got some not great news from a close-friend-that's-basically-family last night that just totally threw me for a loop, because it wasn't what I was expecting at all.  Except that I kind of had a bad feeling about it.  But the point is, I was not in a great place emotionally this morning, but thankfully Kim and I had a run scheduled.  I'd normally back out of plans if I wasn't feeling like myself, but something about running just sounded like such a perfect break.  And it was.  We drove down to the lakefront and ran a 5 mile loop from Irving Park to the turnaround up at Hollywood Beach and back.  The northern part of Lakeshore has always been one of my favorite parts of the city.  You don't get as good a view of downtown, but it just feels like home to me.  When I first moved to Chicago, I lived in Edgewater for a few years.  For those who don't know, Edgewater is the neighborhood when you get to the very northern end of Lakeshore Drive (it's so far north that many people asked me if I was still in the city when I lived there).  Of course, the area was "up and coming" at the time, and not really a place for a single early 20's gal who was new to the city to be living by herself, but one perk was that I was a 5 minute walk from the lake.  Even before I ran, I used to love taking walks along the lake just to clear my head.  And that's what happened this morning.  It was sunny and bright, but also fairly quiet, so it was the perfect setting to have a good run.  I was able to talk about what was bothering me, and then just enjoy the scenery and good company and not have to think about it for a while.




So why do I do this to myself?  Sure, I'm exercising to maintain my weight loss and stay healthy, but I love the way that it makes me feel.

17 comments:

  1. Sounds like you had a nice break from all of the hectic stuff via your run. I like the pic of the snow-covered beach and sky.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep, it's always good to take a little time to get away from things.

      Delete
  2. I love the northern part of the trail! It's SO PRETTY.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I like it because it doesn't get quite as busy as other parts near me (not like that's an issue this time of year anyway).

      Delete
  3. Great picture! I admire your ability to get out and run when there's snow. I'm so looking forward to the warmer temps and longer days to get outside for my runs. And you are a total badass. Period.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, I haven't been out running in the neighborhood in a couple weeks because the sidewalks are gross, but the lakefront trail is always plowed at least :)

      Delete
  4. I love this "I noticed that I look like a total badass. I feel strong and fit when I work out, and it's pretty awesome." I think that is a perfect way to sum up why you do this to yourself. :) (much more eloquently said than what I could up up with for why I workout...)

    Beautiful photos!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was guessing some people could relate :)

      Delete
  5. I haven't been exercising hardly at all lately...In my earlier attempts to lose weight, I exercised a lot, it seemed to make me hungry and made it harder to have small portions. Since I've given up the exercise, my weight loss has accelerated, which I don't really understand. Unfortunately, this has led me to assiciate exercise with being hungry and eating too much. I know that for my health I really need to incorporate it back in, because it is possible to be thinner but unhealthier. My only saving grace is exactly what you are talking about: exercise makes me feel great. It improves my mood and my overall outlook. It functions as a sort of anti-depressant for me. I LOVE how it makes me feel. Your description of that feeling makes me want to try it again. I've never had a "runner's high" (in fact, I don't run at all), but I've definitely had a "push-ups-and-weights-high"!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kaki, thanks for your comment! I can definitely relate to this: "it is possible to be thinner but unhealthier." Having gone through weight loss several times, I've experienced this. The last time that I was the size that I'm currently at, I weighed 20 pounds LESS! And I feel and look a lot better this time around, because I'm fit and have built muscle. I'd agree that losing weight, in terms of the number on the scale, is slower as I exercise, but it's worth it. I hope you'll be able to give exercise another shot and feel that high again!

      Delete
  6. I love this post. LOVE IT :) Exercise does do so much more for us than expend calories... I especially love those clear your head runs. I am happy I got to be with you on that one. And what a gorgeous day for us to be out! And a treat for me to run a part of the trail I hadn't before!

    I hope your workouts this week continue to give you the calm you need or the badass feelings as you are busting ass at work getting ready for your deadline! <-- I feel like that sentence needs the word ass in it one more time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really glad we were able to run together on Friday too. I feel a lot better just having been able to talk about things, so I really appreciate it :) And I'm glad I could show you the northern part of the trail!

      Delete
  7. I actually haven't been feeling all that sore lately from working out, and it kind of makes me sad. On the one hand, that could mean I'm pretty fit, but on the other hand, am I pushing myself hard enough? I feel like soreness is a badge of honor that your are kicking ass.

    Also, I lived in Rogers Park when I was at Loyola ... from 2000-2004 ... when were you in Edgewater? Were we sort-of neighbors???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we may have just missed each other - I lived in Edgewater from 2004 - 2007, but didn't move there until September of '04. I was near the Bryn Mawr and Thorndale stops, so definitely not far from Rogers Park!

      And I totally understand that feeling - I do feel kind of sad if I don't feel like my ass has been kicked, because maybe I could have been trying harder?

      Delete
    2. My best friend/sis-in-law moved to Edgewater in 2005 - near Thorndale & Winthrop. So you were her neighbor! My brother moved in with her in 2007 when they got married and they moved to the suburbs a few years later.

      Delete
    3. Oh wow, yeah I lived not even half a mile from there! Small world :)

      Delete
  8. I love tough workouts which make me sweat! You just need to keep your body well prepared for action and not let it be exhausted. I did not think that nutrition is so important until I've read militarygradenutritionals.com/blog. Very interesting resourse that provides lots of useful advices for athletes.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?