| With my favorite neighborhood running buddy, Amy |
The 2012 Ravenswood Run was a huge race for me, in part because it was the first one I had ever actually trained for, and because at that time, running 3.1 miles was still a lot for me. It's funny how much has changed in a year. This year, I was just looking forward to having a fun race. I knew I'd be coming off of the relay, so I didn't treat this as a goal race, and really didn't pay much attention to my time. Being tired and still having a sore achilles tendon, I just wanted to take it easy and have fun. So Amy and I started toward the back, between the 11:00 and 12:00 pace markers. I told her that I had wanted to negative split the race, starting out at a 12 minute pace, but we ended up doing our first mile in 10:55, which felt pretty good, so we went with that. Our splits ended up being pretty consistent, staying within about 10 seconds of each other.
| I think this was going up Sunnyside |
They changed the course route this year so that it went through Lincoln Square, so it was more in line with a lot of runs I take around the neighborhood on my own. I really liked the new course. I've heard that the change was just because of construction, but I hope they keep it. Last year's course had less turns (and running a long stretch gets kind of boring) and ran through slightly less interesting parts of the neighborhood.
| Running up Lincoln Avenue, between Wilson and Leland |
My time last year was 39:36, so my only real goal was to beat that. I finished in 37:06 (logging 3.4 miles, thanks again to the tangents), which is, amazingly, only 10 seconds over my current 5k PR of 36:56 at the Hot Chocolate. I definitely wasn't looking to PR, but I'm amazed that I came so close!
| Amy and I after finishing |
As Amy and I were running the last half mile, with plenty of neighborhood spectators cheering us on and telling us to keep on going, I commented on how much better overall I felt at this year's run than last year. Even being exhausted from running 7 miles the day before, and even with a sore achilles. Last year, every bit of that 5k was really hard for me, and I felt like I was trying so hard. At this point, running shorter distances is starting to feel like a muscle memory kind of thing that I don't have to think too hard about, which is pretty cool.
| Oh, Bob was there too |
Afterward, Bob and I went to the official race pancake breakfast, put on by a neighborhood church that also has a food pantry and kitchen that serves homeless people in our area. Tickets were just a $10 donation, and that $10 buys 100 pounds of food for our hungry neighbors in Ravenswood and Uptown. The breakfast included pancakes, sausage and hash browns, and was a perfect way to end the morning.
I'd like to say that I'll try to avoid doing double races on the same weekend again in the future, because I was just completely exhausted by the time we got home after the race on Sunday, and because it obviously took a toll on my leg, but I really like both races that I did this weekend, and it seems like they'll probably continue falling on the same weekend so.... we'll see what next year brings.
Have you ever done back-to-back races? Does your neighborhood have a race?
Heck no, no back-to-back races! No races at all for me, but those of you who do run are amazing! I am out in the burbs, so if anyone wants to do a run or marathon, we have to travel downtown. It's only a 30 minute drive or so. I've done 5k walks, and it's amazing how much prettier the urban neighborhoods are than the suburbs! There is so much to be said for a house having character and history!
ReplyDeleteThere's plenty of suburban races! And those are often smaller, which is a nice quality in a race :)
DeleteDang, you had quite the weekend! Congrats on your awesome performance at the 5K--running that well the day after your PDR is amazing. You're gonna kill it at your half. :) I haven't done back-to-back races. I'm not that hard core and I try to choose my races carefully since unfortunately I don't have unlimited money to register for races (although I frequently daydream about what I would do if I did have unlimited race registration funds).
ReplyDeleteYeah, money definitely does factor in. This one was on my list of must-do races at the beginning of the year. It's getting harder now because more and more fun races seem to be popping up, but I can't do them all!
DeleteThat's pretty hardcore to run two races back to back! The closest I've come is half marathons two weekends in a row. That about killed me, though!
ReplyDeleteWow, back-to-back half marathons like that is pretty intense too!
DeleteGreat job staying with good splits and feeling the progress! Its a great feeling when you can see your results so easily!! Keep it up!
ReplyDeleteIt's easy to see results now, but it's definitely taken a lot of time!
DeleteOMG I WAS THERE!!!! How did I not see you?? And I was at the finish line, watching everyone who came in from 8:30 to 8:38, when my friends Jessie, Kate and Mike crossed the finish. You had to have run right past me!
ReplyDeleteToo funny. I wish I knew you had been there, I would have kept an eye out for you and gave you a big cheer as your finished!
That is too funny! We ran into another friend and one of Bob's co-workers at the finish line, so it is a REALLY small race. I didn't start right at 8 though (since I was in the back of the pack), so I'm thinking I finished a little later than that.
DeleteCongrats on the near PR finish so soon after your race the day before! I sure hope they keep the course for next year (and beyond). I hope to run a March marathon in 2014 so I won't be recovering during the Ravenswood Run like I was this year.
ReplyDeleteThe new course was great, so I hope it sticks around too! It'll be good that you can run it again next year, I know I'd hate to miss this one.
DeleteRunning the Ravenswood this year was my first 5K, and I'm so glad they changed the route to go through the Square. It was a total kick in the pants to see the fountain and know that I was nearly done.
ReplyDeleteI'm the aforementioned friend of Kristen and have been following your blog for a while... hi!
I think that's the nice thing about familiar race courses :) I felt that way once we crossed under the Damen stop - we're almost done!
DeleteGo Anne!!! Way to tear it up with back-to-back races, you are the racing GURU!!! Congratulations on your amazing performance and for feeling the improved conditioning from prior races. There is no better feeling than that, for sure!!!
ReplyDeleteIt is really cool to see how much progress I've made in a relatively short time, that's why I'm glad I've been logging all of this! Though I wouldn't say I'm a guru so much as a little crazy for doing the double :)
DeleteI've heard so many great things about the Ravenswood race! You are a rockstar!
ReplyDeleteIt's a pretty great race, I'd recommend making the trip north for it :)
DeleteMy gosh, Anne - you are turning into a hardcore runner!!! Love it. :)
ReplyDeleteRace days definitely make me feel that way - I just need to remember it when I'm not motivated to train on my own!
DeleteCongrats on a great race!
ReplyDeleteLast summer, I did four races in the span of 15 days or something like that. A half, another half a week later, a 5K the following Thursday and then a 6K that Saturday. Um, I was already over it by the second half, haha. I told myself after that no more racing so much so close together. I have yet to do races on back-to-back days though, and with the exception of some kind of specific race weekend, I probably never will.
Whoa, that's a lot of races in a very small amount of time! I definitely wouldn't recommend back-to-back, it probably takes a special kind of crazy to do that :)
DeleteYay! Great job! You were so close to your PR - that is awesome that you weren't even trying and had such even splits!
ReplyDeleteBack to back races. Hmm. That sounds like something I would do. But I don't know if I have. I did Sat, Thurs, Sat in an 8 day span. But not day after day.
Did you and Bob have last year's shirts on? Do they do different colors for different sexes? I really like the purple!
My town has two 5Ks each year :) I have only done the one in February. I love it that another blogger drove 50 miles to do it so she could win my age group (which I usually do each year). That is me being sarcastic.
I'm kind of surprised you haven't done back-to-back before!
DeleteWe're wearing this year's shirts - they were too cute not to, and this is one of few races where just about everyone wears the race shirt. They did do gender-specific, this was the first year for that!
Heh, I remember that 5k from February. Who drives 50 miles for a 5k in the first place??
Congrats lady on the back to back races/ almost PR at rW! That is seriously an awesome accomplishment! (Can't say I've ever done back to back races...)
ReplyDeleteSounded like the race was wonderful! I wanted to do it, but was out of town :( I love the whole premis that the donations stayed within the community. You've sold me on this race for next year! Te shirts are also super cute! "Put a bird on it!" Hehe
They put a bird on it every year :) I hope it works out for you next year, it's a really great race!
DeleteI. Love. Those. Shirts.
ReplyDeleteGlad you had a great day :)