Sunday, April 7, 2013

2013 Shamrock Shuffle Recap

To say that conditions going into my very first Shamrock Shuffle weren't ideal would be an understatement.  I felt so frustrated and cheated by getting so very sick in the week leading up to the Shuffle that I was nearly in tears on race morning.  I had been training for this race since the beginning of the year, and after watching Bob do it so many years before, I was so excited to finally be joining him.  I still felt nowhere near 100% when I woke up, and had no idea how much of this race I'd even be able to run, but I was pretty sure my goal of finishing in under an hour was out the window.  So my goal at that point was just to finish.

Dropping Bob off at his corral

Thankfully, I was running with my friend Melanie.  To be honest, if I had been running this by myself, I may not have done it.  Since Bob was in corral B, we got down to the race well before 8, even though our corral didn't start until at least 9:15.  We didn't end up starting until 9:50, so I think the 2 hours we had to kill got me pretty psyched to run.

The skyline at Gear Check

Once we finally got started, we flew through the first mile in 11 minutes.  Whoa, that's the fastest I've run a mile in a while, and I was pretty surprised since I hadn't really run all week.  I knew that I should slow down and save some energy for the end of the run, but I couldn't put the brakes on.  We were keeping pace with the rest of the crowd, and I felt good and full of adrenaline.


We did the second mile in closer to 12 minutes, so we did slow down a little.  I was doing good until about the halfway point of the race, then I started getting a little tired and feeling really dehydrated.  I told Melanie I wanted to take a walk break once we hit the 5k mark, and thankfully there was an aid station not too far after that.  My legs were already feeling tired, but we were out in the sun, which was really starting to drain me.  I also barely ate breakfast because I couldn't stomach it (I did have half of an Ensure and some Gatorade, so I wasn't totally running on empty), and hunger hit.  So I had some gatorade and water at the aid station.  That, and the walk break were both super helpful.  Well that, and we totally got cat-called around mile 4, which was exactly the push I needed.

Hi Bob!

Once we got to the last half mile stretch, Melanie spotted Bob watching us from the sidewalk.  He was in the first wave, so he had time to get his gear, drink his beer and come and find us (thankfully, I sent him a Glympse!).  I hadn't actually considered he would come out since our plan was to meet at gear check, so when I spotted him, I got all choked up because I was so happy to see him, and so happy to be finishing this race.  He jogged along with us as far as he could, and pushed me up the hill on Roosevelt, which approaches the finish line.  As I started the hill, I noticed that I was at 56:50.  I wasn't sure I could make it to the top and finish in the next 3 minutes, but I sure wanted to try.  In the end, I finished in 1:01:30.  So I didn't make the hour goal, BUT I did knock 1:17 off of my last 8k, so I at least got a PR!  Considering how crappy I felt all week, and how low my expectations were going into this run, I'll take a PR!  And this just means I need to do another 8k to get under the hour mark.

We did it!

23 comments:

  1. Congrats on a PR even when you weren't feeling 100% Now you KNOW you can break 60 minutes next time for sure!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here's hoping! I'm already looking for another 8k to redeem myself :)

      Delete
  2. Way to go! Sounds like you pushed through and finished strong! I also LOVE the outfits!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the PR! I was down there spectating. I like the shot of you guys running. It was a great day for a race.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was, right down to the perfect weather

      Delete
  4. Aww, Anne! I am so sorry you were still feeling so damn sick and crappy today. What the heck did you eat? It is food thing... right? :P

    I am not surprised about the cat calls. You two look damn cute. Now that I see the tanks, sheesh, I am thinking about getting one again. Tell me no. Make me stop!

    Congrats on a great race after a not so great week. So happy you had a friend there and ran in to Bob at the end too! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Gosh I hope it's just food, but I don't know.

      You should buy one of the tanks! Or we can get similar matching ones for the half :)

      Delete
  5. We were Ahh-Meeee-Zing.
    And gorgeous (which is crucial).
    And pretty fast.
    But mostly just Ahmeezing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess my catchphrase would be "thankyou."

      Delete
    2. My mom said we look like sisters.

      Delete
    3. I can see that. We do both look awesome.

      Delete
  6. Congrats on the PR. Sorry that you haven't been well but way to rock your time. Also, how cute are your matching outfits? And your photogenic faces while running!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks lady! We're nothing if not photogenic :)

      Delete
  7. Congrats on your PR! I love your matching outfits! Also I agree, this is a really hard race to put the brakes on. I kept trying to tell myself to slow down ... yeah, didn't happen.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I have this problem in most races - the adrenaline just takes over!

      Delete
  8. You did great!!! I think even when you're not feeling wonderful, the adrenaline takes over on race day (evidenced by your speedy first mile!). Love the tank tops; love reading about the entire race experience. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congratulations on the PR and you look ADORABLE! Sorry you weren't feeling well - I know how frustrating that is, but you still did awesome :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I would have TOTALLY used being sick as an excuse not to do it...I'm very impressed that you even attempted to follow through. That's dedication! Excellent PR!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on the PR! Despite the setback of being sick you still had a great time in the race. i hope you are feeling much better now. I absolutely love your shirt! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Congratulations! Shamrock is a hard race to plan for, pace-wise. I think you did great. AND I think you need to plan for a showing us more about this outfit in a Fashion post! I want the deers!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Congrats on your PR! Running a PR when you weren't feeling well is an awesome accomplishment. I'm also loving the top you were wearing--great print! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?