Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Let's Just Stop With the Unrealistic Memes Already

The comments in Kim's post yesterday mentioned the whole "Strong is the new skinny" campaign.  I always liked the idea of encouraging women to work out to be strong rather than just for purposes of weight loss, but a good point came up that this campaign puts down legitimately skinny people.  I was taken aback, because as someone who has spent their entire adult life being overweight, at times even obese, I guess I never even considered this side of things.  Many women I know now, or girls that I was friends with growing up, have aspired to be "skinny" at some point in their lives.  So it never occurred to me that those who just naturally are may feel some way about campaigns like this.

I'll admit, when I was younger, I definitely wanted to be skinny.  I remember cutting out pictures of bikinis that I liked in catalogs and hanging them up on my bulletin board in high school as a goal for me someday.  Ah, someday. But I never had a concrete plan of how to get there, and just wanting something doesn't make it happen.  I'm long past those days, and being skinny isn't something that I'm working toward.  It's also something that will likely never happen for me.  I apparently don't have the bone structure or genetic make-up of a skinny person, proven by the fact that there's not really many skinny people in my family.  This is okay.  I really do just want to be healthy and fit.  I'd be happy, for example, to be a size 12 and have a little muscle, and be constantly amazed by the things that my body can do.  Oh wait, that's actually where I'm at.  So I guess I'm pretty happy with myself.

I know a lot of us are always working hard and seemingly always training, but I hope that there some of you reading this that are happy with where you're at right now.  But where are the memes representing that? Or works in progress? An article I read this morning claiming that "Fitspo Sucks" made me think about the contradiction between the messages of so-called fitspiration, and the memes themselves.  Basically it's a bunch of motivational slogans and quotes, which could be helpful if, perhaps, accompanied by pictures of real women. The author says "Women use it to remind themselves that they are not good enough. I mean, I’ve never seen a fitspo photo of someone with 30lbs to lose. That wouldn’t be nearly as motivating, even if she looked active, healthy, and happy."  I think this is a pretty important point. I catch glimpses of myself in the mirror when I'm taking a class at my gym, and I think I look pretty badass, but that's not an image to aspire to, since I'm above average sized and have some fat on me. I could be wrong, but I get the sense that a lot of these are pictures of either professional athletes or models.  Here's a few to consider:

{source}
That's a great message, isn't it?  But it implies that all I really need to do to have a rockin' body like this is believe in myself.  Um, not quite.

{source}
I find an hour for fitness almost every day.  I think I need more hours.

{source}
Again, a great quote to think about (and even the title of a blog authored by a WRCE member), but I'm pretty sure this chick has done more than a few crunches to get these abs.

{source}
In this case, apparently what we all want is to look like a Victoria's Secret model.

I guess I don't see any of these memes as being motivating for me, because I can't really relate to any of these women.  And to tie back to the beginning of this post, perhaps skinny people can't relate to some of these images either.  One could argue that the fitspo memes are shaming us into thinking this is the image that we should all be working for; that zero body fat and rock-hard abs are what we should all want and feel that we deserve. Don't get me wrong, I know that some women can and do look like this.  But it just isn't realistic and attainable for everyone and I think constantly seeing these memes could lead to a lot of unrealistic goals, which sets people up for either failure or some really unhealthy habits and attitudes.

What do you think about "strong is the new skinny" and fitspiration?  Should I just make my own damn memes?

Hey, but not all motivational memes are bad:

now this is motivation. Run fast.
{source}

30 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting post. I don't believe I've ever Pinned one of those memes and I don't believe I ever would. But, that's more because of how I am then because I find them offensive. However, I do know that certain body types are more suited for certain results than others. For example, even when I was skinny, I didn't have a small waist because I have a wide rib cage. Therefore, no matter how many crunches I do, I won't look like the size 2 women in the memes; I'd have to remove a rib for that. I will *not* be removing a rib any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't find them offensive per se - I just think they may cause more problems than the "motivation" that they're aimed to achieve.

      But you do bring up a really good point! Some body types will just never achieve certain results, no matter how hard you try (or don't, I guess).

      Delete
  2. I'm like you. I'm way happy with what my body can do, extra squish and all. I don't care nearly as much about what it looks like vs. what it's capable of. And I will never look like any of those girls, so that isn't motivating to me.

    And that second girl? Looks more sick than strong to me.

    When I was young, I wanted the boobs of the girls in the bikini ads. Which was never going to happen naturally. I wish I had been as happy with my body THEN as I am NOW...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Agreed on the second picture. I think the first woman does look fantastic, but I'd need to work out several hours a day and probably make serious changes to my eating to get that. Seriously. Even my trainer doesn't have those abs (though she's pretty close), and that's what she does for a living.

      I had bigger, better boobs when I was younger, but alas, the weight loss took them away. So yes, the point is to be happy with our bodies, because they're pretty amazing.

      Delete
  3. Gosh, I hate that they keep using pictures of me for these memes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HAHAHA! Yes, let's be real - I'm just mad that they don't pay me to use my images!

      Delete
    2. Mine would totally say..."It's okay...have one more beer."

      Delete
    3. Yeah, drunkspiration totally stole my meme ideas :(

      Quotes about going the distance or accomplishing big goals paired with a picture of me drinking a boot of beer. Definitely motivational.

      Delete
    4. Yes! Like these: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lbailey211/13-epic-moments-of-drunkspiration-e9sd

      Delete
    5. EXACTLY! Those are some memes I can identify with.

      Delete
  4. Screw you! I look like a Victoria's Secret model. They inspire me to keep "That Gap" between my thighs healthy. I gotta stay sharp for my photos with Pete and the WRCE calendar!

    Only strong thing about me is my appetite for more frozen custard

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HA! Okay, the last two comments have totally made my afternoon. As would some frozen custard.

      Delete
    2. Is that a "sausage cake" calendar that we're making?

      Delete
    3. I don't know about the calendar, but I would like a sausage cake.

      Delete
  5. This was a really great post Anne! I get really frustrated with 'fitspo.' like you said, the quotes are great but the images just suck, it's basically thin-spo with muscles. When i look at these images I see women who must never drink wine, eat bread or enjoy their life because they are constantly worrying about their muscles being visible on their body. But that's the part I don't get- do they want these visible muscles so that other women will see them and be envious? Why is that something we do in our society?! That's is why all of us women are so f'd up because we see those images and think I WANT THAT instead of I want what my body currently looks like. Do I have a 6 pack? No. Do I have sculpted arms? No. For me like you mentioned above, some of those things are just not an option for my body type.

    All to say- great post and I <3 u!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If by 6-pack you mean bottles of beer then yes, I do have one of those.

      You raise some really good points! I've read a few places that Fitspo is thinspo with muscles (Maggie linked to a good post related to that this morning). Do you think these women want others to be envious of their bodies, or do they even think about that? Hmmm. I think if you're a model or a pro athlete, you're probably super disciplined most of the time, so probably don't get to enjoy wine, bread, chocolate, etc. as much as you might like to. It's important to me to be healthy, but I do also really want to just enjoy myself! I don't want to go out with friends and feel bad about the crap I'm shoveling in my mouth, or feel bad that I don't have tons of visible muscle or a flat stomach.

      Delete
  6. I only like the funny exercise memes - the other ones are photoshopped and ridiculous, IMHO.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are my body image idol! I'm still getting there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It takes time! I didn't totally love my body for a long time, definitely not when I was your age. But I think you're on the right track!

      Delete
  8. I love you and this post! :)

    Absolutely agreed that these memes need to go away like yesterday! And also that they send a very wrong message to people. I may be "skinny" but I look nothing like those fitspo models. Most days I feel like I look 3-4 months pregnant in that awkward "did u just eat a huge burrito" stage. Ah I'd love a flatter stomach. And seeing stuff like that makes it a constant struggle mentally. I go in and out of restricting food and feeling guilty if I eat a lot or don't workout as much. Another set of memes I hate are the ones like "you only regret the workout you don't do" or "someone somewhere is working harder than you." I don't want to feel guilty for taking a damn rest day. How about let's push each other up instead of tear others down with this garbage? :)

    The way you view your body and health is inspirational to me. You seem really happy and balanced with where you are at while I am almost always picking at my budda belly and trying to attain something that I know in my heart is not realistic.

    The fitspo stuf needs to stop. My eyes glaze over when I see it on FB , twitter or instagram- even blogs. And now I click hide or delete because I don't get any value out of it.

    Excellent post lady!

    Ps I think we should meet up for brunch or some beerz soon. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for weighing in, lady! Your comments on Kim's post really got the wheels turning for me. I've always been annoyed by Fitspo and other things that totally glorify a certain body type, but somehow it never occurred to me that other people with other body types would too. Thanks for opening my eyes!

      I've totally been down the road of restricting my eating way too much, and I'm pretty sure my last major injury was caused by me overdoing my workouts to make up for my having gained a few pounds.

      No one should ever feel guilty for a rest day - we need those! Just about any article about race training tells you to respect the rest day, yet there's memes making me feel like a lazy sloth for not wanting my legs to fall off.

      But yes, let's definitely get together post-marathon! I'd love to check out North Down (my super cool foodie hair stylist keeps recommending it to me) sometime!

      Delete
  9. Every so often I see those and think, "If I was just more disciplined with my eating I wonder if I could look like that." And then I remember that I like beer and wine and carbs and ice cream. And my life would be really sad if I didn't have those things. In fact, I was just listening to a podcast recently where they were interviewing an actress who said that when she's working on a tv show or a movie she stops drinking wine and switches to vodka because it's fewer calories. That bothered me!

    Anyway, I don't know where I'm going with this post other than to say it's way more awesome to be the type of person who can walk into a fitness class and know I can do 90% of it no matter what I look like and then go eat ice cream and drink a beer.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly. You and I are fitness badasses who enjoy the finer things, and that's definitely cooler than washboard abs and restrictions.

      That's funny that the actress switches - my trainer actually told me that if I "have" to drink anything, white wine is the way to go. But maybe she just meant wine over beer. I do remember reading on Weight Watchers boards years ago that jack & diet is the perfect diet drink. So I'll blame WW for how much I love whiskey.

      Delete
  10. Yes! Do your own inspirational posts! :) You know, I have heard people talk about these and I think maybe I have seen them, but I ignore them. They are way unrealistic, and are fitness models, or just models, like you said. That doesn't inspire me.

    I clicked through to that link and saw one post say "skinny is not healthy, sexy is." W. T. F. Hows about we quit telling each other what sexy is? Maybe we don't give a shit about sexy?

    I have always been comfortable with my weight/appearance, even at my heaviest. And really, that is a problem - because since I don't care about it, I often struggle to find a reason to take care of me until I am doing it and it's making me feel better. But anyways, it makes me so sad that people want want want so bad to be skinnier. I want to be strong. Muscular, even. I want to be capable. I am all those things. I usually am, despite my weight, so why the eff do I care?

    Great post! I am happy to see so many thoughtful comments :) And thanks for the shout out! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I may just do that - ladies of my size are so underrepresented. And as I commented on xaarlin's post tonight, I wonder if not seeing relatable women in fitspo is something that's keeping heavier women from even trying to work out. Hmmm.

      Shouldn't it be the other way around, that healthy is sexy? Or yeah, let's just not even go there and try to define it. Because sexy is pretty damn subjective. And evolves.

      No, no, I disagree that you being comfortable with yourself at any weight/size/appearance is a problem. It's an awesome thing that so many women never figure out! But I do understand what you're saying. There were definitely times when I was heavier that I was still happy with myself and didn't feel like I needed to make a change. Which would be okay if I had been healthy, but my numbers certainly didn't support that. I get a physical every year which does help me keep things in check. I feel a little bad that I've gained a little weight back this year, but if my numbers still look good when I have my tests next month, then I'm more than okay with it. I wonder if quantifying "taking care of yourself" in a non-appearance-based way like that may help?

      Delete
  11. I really like this post. I follow Indy Ink on Pinterest and she is always posting photos explaining how most of the images we see of women (ads, memes, etc) are allllll photoshopped. None of these images are attainable so any attempt to look like the women in these fitspo memes will lead to failure... Because women that look like that don't exist. I've been wanting to do a post-baby body image post because I have lots of thoughts swirling around in my head of what I want to look like and what I actually look like and what I will probably look like... I love your thoughts on this whole fitspo craze. I think you are a pretty amazing inspiration with everything you're able to do, whether you will ever look like someone in a meme or not. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would be very interested to read your thoughts about body image now! I only know body image as it relates to having been overweight and my weight yo-yo-ing for years, but I definitely wonder what happens when you add in pregnancy to that mix.

      But what? They're photoshopped? :) Yeah, I read a post earlier this year where a guy created his own "before & after" shots within a few hours of each other! He shaved his head for the after, used different lighting, sucked in, and positioned himself differently. He really did look different, so it makes you wonder how many are staged like that.

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?