For as long as today's race has been showing up in the weather forecast, I had been watching the predicted temperature drop more and more, down from 40 to 30 to OMG the coldest weekend in Chicago in.... I don't know how long. But damn, I was not expecting it to be 11 degrees out when I woke up for a turkey trot! Did Chicago weather forget how to do fall? So on top of being a little run down/out of shape/probably dehydrated after being sick all week, it was also really f*cking cold out there today. But I'll stop complaining, because although it was really cold, and although my legs just finally started warming up a few hours later, running in that kind of weather feels pretty
As far as race logistics go, I'll say that I loved this race so much more than a downtown race. Living on the north side, Lincolnwood was barely a 20 minute drive for us. And there was plenty of free parking to be found pretty close to the race site. Bob and I met up with Kim and her friend, and Erin and her husband in the heated sponsor tent about 15 minutes before the race. There were a few fire pits set up outside as we walked to the tent, so it was cool that the race organizers tried to keep everyone warm in the extreme cold.
We headed to the start line just before 8:45, wished luck to Bob and Erin, and did some warm-up jumping jacks. Noticing absolutely no line for the bathrooms, I ran over real quick as the race was starting, and Kim and I started a couple minutes late. We ran past tons of walkers, but unlike other races, the course was pretty wide so no one was really in our way. In fact, there was no point along the course where it felt congested, which was pretty impressive considering we were just running along neighborhood streets (but maybe that's because we started late?).
| The "slow" sign is no coincidence :) |
We finished in 38:43 with an overall pace of 12:24. Not my fastest or slowest 5k of the year, so meh, whatever. I finished 69th in my age group, which is a little amusing (because I'm immature).
| Sparkly turkeys at the finish line (I think they were also leading pre-race stretching) |
| Bob could have tried to stand out a little more |
The race shirt was a really nice long-sleeved tech tee (that's in the washer now, so woops, no picture to post) and we also got a nice bag and luggage tag. Considering I only paid $24 by registering early and using a coupon, I'd say the race cost was more than recouped. All in all, I would definitely do this race again!
| WRCE and friends at the Finish Line |
Note: All pictures courtesy of Erin's husband, Jason, the Wurst Photographer Ever

Yes, there has been a definite lull in blogging from most people. Is it that twitter now is the preferred recap forum? Anyway, glad to see the post! The weather was not as bad as I had been anticipating. I guess when you brace yourself for negative windchill and then it is a balmy 15 degrees and sunny things seem okay. Congrats on your race time (course PR?). Looks like you had a blast running with Kim. Good seeing you today, and I'll see you at Pint Night tomorrow!
ReplyDeleteHmmm, could be? My lull was mostly based on me not doing anything this past week, and not really having anything to share the week before.
DeleteYeah, since you mention it, it didn't feel as bad out today as I was thinking it would either. I mean it was still really cold, and still a bit of a shock to my system, but I guess preparing myself helped. And yes, course PR - way to spin that ;)
Mmmm post-race hot dogs. Toads jealous. Although I had hot dogs for lunch yesterday (when I was late for the beer run).
ReplyDeletePost-race sausages of any kind are always welcome :)
DeleteNice placement!!! I hope to see you at the beer run next weekend!
ReplyDeleteSadly, I probably won't make it next week - we'll still be celebrating Thanksgiving! But maybe I'll see you at the CRB holiday party?
DeleteI am so happy you asked me to run this with you! I really had a fabulous time racing with you and enjoying the new course together! I can't wait until our cookie date when we have the time we really need to do all the catching up. :)
ReplyDeleteThe food spread was so nice! :) How nice to have warm food (and drinks) after a cold race.
And too funny about the water freezing on the ground (even though it was dangerous and I almost fell, lol).
I am excite for your run with Melanie and the boys! :)
I so wished the race could have been different, in that I could have given you my time goal, and you could have expertly helped me meet it. BUT! I'm glad I didn't have to back out all together, so there's that :) I'm so looking forward to my Henry training session/cookie date! It'll be toads fun.
DeleteWarm drinks definitely help - Erin, Jason and I all had hot chocolates at brunch, and that really warmed me up!
I'm sorry you've been sick - I was wondering where you were! Hope you are feeling better now.
ReplyDeleteThat race sounds fun, but holy crap, water turning to ice? Yeah, that's COLD!!! Loved the hats - you guys looked so cute!
Thanks, Shelley! I have a lot of reading to catch up on this week (good thing work will be slow for the holiday).
DeleteDo you not get that kind of cold in your neck of the woods? ;) My usual measure of extreme cold is my eyelashes freezing, so at least that didn't happen today. It has to be below zero for that.
We don't get that much ice - well, if it's that cold, put it this way...we aren't going outside! Wimpy south Texans, what can I say?
DeleteWe definitely have a higher threshold for what's "cold" here than in warmer climates :) My brother's girlfriend was telling me they bought new down coats to come visit Ohio from California next month - the coldest it should be is 30 or 40, which for me seems like way too warm for down! Just what you're used to, I guess.
DeleteI agree that Chicago forgot how to do fall this year...
ReplyDeleteWe suck at weather.
DeleteGirrrrrrrlllllll. Ketchup? Not mustard? Consider this your shaming. Shame!
ReplyDeleteI know, how can I call myself a Chicagoan??? But... unless it's dusseldorf and a pretzel or sausage is being dipped into it, I just don't do mustard.
DeleteI'm glad you are feeling better!
ReplyDeleteAnd I, too, prefer ketchup on my dogs. Which was never an issue until I moved here!
I'm glad I'm not the only ketchup rebel ;)
Delete