![]() |
| Bob needs sunglasses and/or more coffee |
![]() |
| Ladies of the WRCE |
We parked in one of the underground lots at Grant Park and walked maybe 10 minutes over to Red Gear Check to meet Mo, since Bob and I had picked up her packet at the expo on Friday (I guess she was busy getting ready to run a marathon or something). We all pinned on our bibs, including our Wurst Running Club Ever team bibs! Our little running club is starting to get real now. A friend who volunteered as an EMT at the finish line told me he heard our club announced at one point too, which is pretty sweet.
| 2013 / 2014 - totally unintentional deja vu |
At about 8:10 Melanie and I said goodbye to our Wave 1 friends and headed off to our corral. Last year we were in corral J, which is apparently where all of the first-time runners get placed, so we were happy to move up to corral F this year. I should say that, originally, Melanie was put in J, but it was really easy to switch her to F with me at the Expo. This way we got an earlier start (8:55 versus 9:15) and a less congested race. Last year it felt like we were doing a ton of weaving during the first mile. This year, not so much. So that was a really good change.
![]() |
| Obligatory pre-race selfie |
At just after 9:00, we were off! I was a little nervous about how my calf would behave, since it had been pretty sore during my previous few runs. But I had taken 4 days off from running and done plenty of stretching, icing, foam-rolling and epsom salt baths, which seemed to have done the trick. Of course, having 4 days without any cardio also made it feel like I was working really hard. But every time I checked my HR, I was at around 150-155, which is within my normal range for running.
The first 3 miles flew by - we were averaging an 11:10 pace, which is awesome! We knew we were more than on track for that hour goal. I started fading a bit at about 3.5 miles in, so I knew that I couldn't keep up that pace. Our post-5k pace slowed to 11:54, but we were still going fast enough to PR and meet our goal. We hit mile 4 at about 45:00. Even knowing that we had 15:00 to do the last mile, I kept on pushing. The cool thing about that last mile is that it flies by. We went from the mile marker to Michigan Ave pretty quickly, and that entire area is filled with spectators cheering you on. The last thing we had to do was conquer Mount Roosevelt. I was nervous about running a steep (well, by Chicago standards) hill with my calf, but it felt fine so I kept on moving. Which is to say, chasing Melanie. Mo's cousin Jill found us on the hill, which was a good energy boost. The finish chute seemed to last forever, but once we were close and I realized that we were going to beat the hour time goal and PR by nearly 5 minutes, I just about lost it. You guys, meeting your goals is pretty awesome. Like, every time I have a bad run or feel down about my training, I need to remember how amazing and exhilarating it feels when all of that hard work actually pays off.
![]() |
| WE DID IT!!!! |
Our official finish time was 56:49, so 4:41 faster than last year's 1:01:30! I know I'm probably not going to PR at every race I run this year, but the fact that the last two have been such huge PRs is really, really encouraging.
![]() |
| (l-r): Lynton, Eric, Pete, Bob, Maggie, me, Melanie, Mo, Mo's cousin Jill, Jennifer, Jill's friend Carrie (photo from Jennifer) |





Awesome!!! So happy for you, Anne!
ReplyDeleteDang! You killed it! That is so awesome! I am super proud of you! And happy that your calf cooperated :)
ReplyDeleteThanks, me too! I was so worried it would flare up again, and about what that would mean for the rest of my training.
DeleteCongratulations! I'm so happy for you!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad your calf felt good. I was thinking about you all weekend...and I may have stalked your race updates online. CREEPY!
Aw thanks, I think that's the first time anyone has stalked my race result :)
DeleteCongrats on your PR!!!!! And thanks for letting me tag along yesterday.
ReplyDeleteAnytime, neighbor-ino!
DeleteAnne, that is so fantastic! Way to go girl! Did you get goosebumps once you crossed the finish line, knowing you had PRed?! Amazing!
ReplyDeleteValerie
www.the-style-files.com
Honestly, once I crossed the finish line I just wanted gatorade and beer :) But I was pretty stoked during that last push to the finish!
DeleteAnne!! You killed it!! Congratulations!
ReplyDeleteThanks, Bobbi! :)
DeleteSo excited you nailed your goal!!!!
ReplyDeleteAnd I really think I need to try out this Epsom salt bath thing... Any brand of Epsom salts you recommend?
I can't recommend an epsom salt bath enough! It doesn't matter how sore I am, when I get out everything just feels so much better. I usually just get the CVS brand - they have some scented like lavender, which makes for a super relaxing bath :)
DeleteAwesome! Thanks! Will definitely have to try that.
DeleteYAY!!!! You did great!!! Congrats on running a great race and feeling so awesome.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Erin! Feeling good at a race is definitely a nice change of pace after some of my fall/winter ones :)
DeleteWurst PR ever! Congrats! Glad to hear the calf behaved for the race.
ReplyDeleteThanks, Pete! I mean, any race that the WRCE runs is bound to be the Wurst :) Let's hope your ankle starts behaving too!
DeleteWOOHOO! Congrats on that MASSIVE PR! You owned this race!
ReplyDeleteI love that you refer to the hill as Mount Roosevelt, because I swear, it's just cruel that so many races end with that. I hate, hate, HATE hills.
I love that the WCRE was representing with their own bibs!
I'm trying to hate hills a little less, since getting over them does feel pretty badass. But the end of a race really is a terrible place to put one!
DeleteWay to kill that PR!
ReplyDeleteDid they have dinosaur chicken nuggets at O'Donovans? Because even though my body was ridiculously tired and clearly needed rest, I was still really bummed about no chicken nuggets.
They did! And fried mac & cheese bites :)
DeleteOoh that's the other thing I eat at brunch.
DeleteThe chocolate fountain wasn't too shabby either.
DeleteSo proud of you!!! This has to be so gratifying after all these years and all that hard work. Your speed work is paying off!
ReplyDeleteThanks! I kind of doubted that running fast in short intervals would actually help with overall pace, but apparently it does!
DeleteCongrats on a great finish time! Oh, and I laughed at your reference to Mount Roosevelt! I call it a hill but Mt. Roosevelt sounds much better. :-)
ReplyDeleteI've always found "Mt. Roosevelt" funny, since it would just be called a hill anywhere but Chicago.
DeleteYou ROCKED that!! Congratulations! You totally deserved it, what an awesome race!
ReplyDeleteThanks so much! :)
DeleteCongrats on the huge PR! So happy you felt good in this race. I have a feeling you will do amazing in WI!!!! :)
ReplyDeleteI hope so! I'm a little nervous about the half though, so I'm trying to keep expectations pretty low and just enjoy it :)
Delete