Sunday, January 5, 2014

2014 S-No-W Fun Run Recap

Hard to believe I'm already writing my first race recap of 2014!  Back when the Wurst Running Club Ever was formed this summer, Erin mentioned a race that would be right up our alley: the S-No-W Fun Run up in Lake Geneva.  That's right, Wisconsin in January.  Just about everyone I've talked to about this race lately has thought it was a little crazy to want to run 5 miles outside in this weather, but when we were originally talking about this race, it was probably 80 or 90 degrees and crazy humid here in Chicago.  So basically, weather that I hate running in.  So what's not to love about the idea of running out in the cold, with pretty, snow-covered scenery?  On top of that, the race comes with its own after-party which includes shots at the finish line, free-flowing Wisconsin beer, brats, hamburgers, and a pretty serious dance contest. So I was sold on this idea pretty much immediately.  As was the rest of the WRCE, so we had our first-ever club road trip!

With Rachel, Erin, Kelly & Mo
The race takes place at the Grand Geneva, a ridiculously huge resort...I guess I'd call it a compound?  Seriously, this place probably has its own zip code.  Anyway, the race started at 2:30pm (so no crazy early wake-up needed!), so Mo and I arrived at the lodge at around 1:30.  Bib pick-up was pretty quick and easy, as was getting our wristbands for the after-party.  We soon bumped into Rachel and eventually Kelly and Erin, and basically hung around chatting until it was time to make the long trek from the ballroom to the race start line.

Toads S-No-Wy
So remember when I said this resort is huge?  I think it took us like 10 minutes just to walk through the lodge toward the race start. So call that a warm-up.  Mo started up front with some other friends of hers, and the rest of us headed toward the back to line up.  We bumped into Maggie and Pete while we were waiting, so the whole gang was there.

WRCE, assemble!
After making plans to meet up by the creepy Santa statue outside of the ballroom should we get separated, we were off!  The 6 of us started together, but soon it was just me and Rachel.  I told Rachel she could go on without me, after all, I did have a brand new race playlist that Bob put together for me, so I could entertain myself.  But since no one actually cared about race times, she stuck with me.  And once conditions got pretty difficult about a mile and a half in, I was really glad to not be running by myself.


When Erin was telling me about this race over the summer, she mentioned that there's one really steep hill at the end.  And there definitely is, but I didn't think to ask if the rest of the course was flat.  It wasn't (though Rachel points out that this wasn't that hilly if you don't live somewhere super flat like Chicago).  Hills would have been a fun challenge in and of themselves, but the entire course was covered with snow and slush, which is something I wasn't expecting.  I mean the resort knew there was a race, surely they could clear at least some of the course, right?  No, wrong.  But good news, the roads were clear as we were leaving the compound this morning.  Sigh.  One thing that is annoying is how many of my race recaps have statements along the lines of "My time could have been better if not for [insert difficult race day condition here]."  But I'm not going to say that here.  Going into the race, I knew my time wouldn't be good.  Even before I found out about the snow, slush and the hills.  Or without knowing how absolutely awful it would be to have snow blowing right in my face for a good mile or so of the run.  Or how frozen my legs would feel by the last mile. This was a fun run with way more emphasis on hanging out with my Wurst friends ever at the after-party, so I really, honestly had no time goals or expectations at all.


So here's what I'll say about the run itself:  It was really fun to run with Rachel!  Although we chat via our blogs occasionally, we really didn't get to know each other very well until this run, so that was awesome. Running in the snow was fun, until it wasn't, but I now have a snowy, hilly race under my belt and I can add Wisconsin to the growing list of states I've run in (the count is now at 9!).  And knowing how hard I had to work to put in 5 miles on aforementioned snowy, hilly trail makes me feel good about being able to run a decent 8k back here in Chicago in the spring.

But enough about that pesky running business.  The race after-party was a ton of fun!  We ate, we drank, we danced, hot-tubbed, swam, played Cards Against Humanity and had all kinds of shenanigans.  Thankfully a lot of that went undocumented, but a really fantastic time was had by all.  Here's a few shots that are blog-appropriate.  Kind of.

Pete and his harem of sausage-loving ladies

Beer, beer, beer, beautiful beer
I wish I could share Pete's signature dance move (the new WRCE secret handshake - oh noes, I've said too much!). This will have to do instead.
Erin, the Sausage Dancing Queen

19 comments:

  1. Ooo! I didn't know you hadn't raced in WI before! Woo hoo for a new state! The slush on the roads looks like what I have been running in for a month in my neighborhood - it's difficult! We are all going to be so speedy once the roads are clear in the spring (or summer, ha ha)! I am happy you guys all got to hang out and had such a good time :) Congrats on your first race of the year!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, and I'll have 2 Wisconsin races this year! Exciting!

      The slush and some snowy spots made for a pretty ugly course. I was saying to Rachel that I wished I had worn my HRM, because I sure felt like I was pushing pretty hard just to maintain our pace, which would normally feel like an extremely slow jog even to me. Can't wait until all the snow is gone in May or so. Sigh.

      Delete
  2. I loved everything about the day! Loved running in the snow, chatting with you, rumchata shots to get warm, getting to hang out with everyone and sleeping in a kitchenette! haha

    You'll be so ready for your 8k after this race. If you ever want to run more hills, come visit me! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm just glad I didn't actually have to sleep in the bathtub! Although it would have at least been spacious.

      I'll think we'll definitely try to make the trip north, but probably when it's just a little warmer ;)

      Delete
  3. So cool! All of that snow would have annoyed me but guess the point was to have a good time and not get a good time. I've never heard of that race. Definitely something to look into next year.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but honestly, that's my goal for just about every race I do :)

      Delete
  4. oh god, the handshake. haha forgot about that. well, I did show Robert when I got back to our room, but then I forgot about it.

    also, they did clear the course (otherwise we would have been running in a foot of snow) ... but because it was snowing during the race, there was no way to keep up with it. I say this as someone who lives on a street that has barely been cleared since NYE, if at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess, but there was still a lot of snow and slush there for it just being "new" snow. Basically I want to only run in perfect conditions. Is that so hard?

      Hopefully you don't have to drive again anytime soon! My car was buried for a really long time during that blizzard a couple years, so at least you have a garage? :)

      Delete
  5. I agree with your description that running in the snow was fun until it wasn't! Started to worry about my footfalls torquing my ankle for the second half. Anyway, the post-race festivities were the main event and did not disappoint! I may need another day or two to recover. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do like running when snow is falling, but I think that's the first time I've run that long/far with snow blowing at me! But obviously we were all there for the party anyway :)

      Delete
  6. I forgot about the "handshake", too! Oh man. What a fun, fun night. The run? Not so fun. I guess that's why the call it the s-NO-w fun run? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, it's perfectly named! I did feel a little better when I saw you describe the race as one of your most challenging - glad it wasn't just me (and, you know, those 400 other people)! At least the bad run didn't kill your dancing queen chances :)

      Delete
  7. What a crazy fun time for your running club!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should really come up for this one - don't you want to run in the snow and really cold weather? ;)

      Delete
  8. Sounds like you guys had the wurst time! Pete has an awesome rack!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, but we would have had an even Wurs time if you had come too! Maybe next year Pete can have a fellow sausage to hang out with :)

      Delete
  9. Umm, this looks like such a crazy fun time. I definitely need a destination race in my future, especially one with fun cocktails at the end:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really was! Kind of reminded me of a really crazy wedding, with a run thrown in :)

      Delete
  10. Everything about this sounds fantastic. Running. Hot tubbing. Food. Shenanigans. Cards Against Humanity. Dancing. Count me in for next year!!!
    Valerie

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?