So, clearly, I wasn't really trained very well going into this. On top of that, it seemed like runners were dropping out of this race like flies. So many people seem to be nursing an injury right now. I still had a few friends doing the race, but I wondered if I'd even be able to find anyone I knew at this race with 10,000+ participants. Bob had (very responsibly, of course) decided to sit this one out after Wisconsin pretty much broke him. It was the right choice since he just started running again this week, building up to 2 miles at around 1-1:30 slower than usual. Still - and this is going to sound kind of lame - I was bummed that Bob wouldn't be there, since he and I usually do the same races. I wouldn't be able to find him on the out & back, and he couldn't come back and find me after he finished, like he always does.
If this wasn't all enough bad vibes, my back had been bugging me all week after I did who knows what to it in bootcamp. And last but not least, my stomach was a little angry with me all day on Friday (blame it on my lunch of chips & spicy guac perhaps, who knows), so I just wasn't feeling it. Like, I kind of hoped the alarm wouldn't go off and I'd just sleep through the race. But Bob always sets several alarms, so that was unlikely. And our loudest alarm, Jude, set himself to go off (read: sit by the back door whining to go out) at 4:45, 15 minutes before my 5:00 wake-up call. To my surprise, my back and stomach both felt totally fine when I woke up, so that was a good sign. This race was happening.
| Good morning, Soldier Field |
| One of these things is not like the other |
So remember how I was worried that I wouldn't be able to find anyone I knew at this huge race? Yeah, just as I was walking up the steps to the stadium I heard someone yell my name. Of course, right there was Kim, Bobbi and the rest of their crew. Note that I randomly bumped into Kim and Bobbi right before the Wisconsin half too. Apparently it's hard to avoid them at races. :) We all chatted for a few minutes, then I tagged along with Bobbi and Chris to go use the stadium bathrooms (real bathrooms at a race! Like, with flushable toilets and soap & water!). I came out to find Bobbi and Chris chatting with Emily and Marcia, proving that this giant race is actually small, or that bloggers naturally gravitate to each other, or something like that. I guess once you know enough runners, you're never alone at a race.
We snapped a quick picture and headed out to the start area. Being in the green corrals meant that my corral didn't close until 7:30, and it was only about 7:00 at this point. So I walked around a little more to make sure my legs were nice and warm and made my way to my corral at about 7:15. I was supposed to start in 16, but bumped myself back to 17 so that I could start with the 2:05 pace team. I tend to start every race way too fast, but figured that would be a terrible strategy at a long distance I wasn't quite trained for, so I was hoping the pace team would help me keep myself in check. Being under-trained and concerned that my calf would flare up again, I adjusted my goal from getting a really big PR to just finishing the race in one piece and with a smile on my face.
We finally started moving toward the start line at around 7:45. They announced that the leader was just finishing the race (this happened last year too), and just a few seconds later we were off. I hung with the pace team for the first quarter mile until they took their first walk break. I had planned to take walk breaks at all of the aid stations, so not being ready to walk just yet, I kept going, knowing they'd catch back up with me. They did, and when I walked through the aid stations I was able to catch back up with them too. I kept going back and forth with the pace team like this for the first half of the race, which was super helpful just to make sure I was staying on track.
| Who's got two thumbs and a sweet dirndl? |
I kept going pretty steady, thinking that this really wasn't so bad, and that the miles were flying by pretty quickly. Not long after reaching the 4 mile marker the sun really started getting to me. There weren't really any clouds (which you can see in the picture above), and I could taste the salt that I was losing (eiww, I know). If it was already getting this bad, how would I make it another 6 miles? Would this be a repeat of Wisconsin, or worse, the Women's Half? I figured out the main reason that I bonked at Wisconsin is because I didn't stick to my fueling plan. Running in similar conditions again yesterday, I knew that I'd do better if I ate at the mile 5.2, 7 and 8.7 aid stations, even if I didn't exactly feel like eating.
| This view.... |
![]() |
| This may be the first time I've ever been oblivious to a race photographer |
After I finished I grabbed my goody bag and headed over to the post-race party for my free beer. I mean, it'd be rude to not enjoy a 312, right?
All in all, this was a pretty great race. Sure, I probably could have finished a little faster if I had tried, but a PR is still a PR, and all things considered, I'm more than happy with it. There was a time where I couldn't just run 10 miles without really training, so being able to do that feels like definite progress. And the thing is, despite running a little more slowly toward the end, I felt pretty great for the entire race. My calf held up, I smiled, I high-fived tons of kids and volunteers, chatted with people who commented on my dirndl or asked about the Wurst Running Club Ever, admired the view of the skyline and had a great time. A bigger PR would have been pretty sweet, but saying that I enjoyed just about every second of a race, much less a longer distance one, isn't often something I say, so I'll take that.

I have a hard time convincing my body to run long distances for quite some time after I do a half, so I'm super impressed that you ran 10 miles so soon!
ReplyDeleteI do too, which is why I was thinking it may be a good idea to do another long race within a few weeks of my half! I'd say I'll know better last year, but I'll probably sign up for both again :)
DeleteI'm so happy it turned out to be a good day and a PR for you! And so happy we got to see you!!! :) I hope your calf is done being a little B now!
ReplyDeleteI was SOOOO happy to have that breeze going back. Funny... it was only about a 3-5 mph day. I think I would have appreciated something going south - I was drenched in sweat! Funny how I hate the wind in the winter and sometimes love it in the summer. Ha ha.
Annoying winter wind and light lake breeze are two totally different things. I was so thankful for it on Saturday!
DeleteCongrats on the PR! You looked great out there :) I'm so happy I saw that iG of you in your pink hat- because then I knew I could find you. I'm really good at spotting things... CB has trained me well to find squirrels (and those skills transfer over into races too!)
ReplyDeleteSo lovely to see you at the beer fest too! :)
Hahaha, Jude has me on the lookout for squirrels and bunnies too. It's an important skill to have :)
DeleteCongrats on your PR! Sometimes it just about the execution of the race, and it sounds like you executed according to plan, or you set up new plans along the way. It was hot out that day, and we're getting used to the heat still!
ReplyDeleteNot fueling properly because I wasn't hungry or didn't feel like it during a race/long run has burned me in the past, so I guess I've learned the importance of sticking to plans. I guess that's why we make these plans in advance.
DeleteCongrats on the PR and super glad the calf held up. It looks like you are hauling in that "thumbs up" picture.
ReplyDeleteI was just hamming it up for Xaarlin :)
DeleteI love that people commented on your shirt. The WRCE is going to be HUGE.
ReplyDeleteCongrats on your PR! Two in one month? You kicked the hell out of May!
We're already pretty popular. Of course, runner's brain kicked in at the end and all I could say was that we run and drink beer. Which isn't untrue.
DeleteI guess I did get a 2-PR month! Take that, May!
Glad you had a fun race!! And you still got a PR! Sometimes it really is just about getting out there and having fun. Hopefully my little injury or whatever it is is just minor and goes away quickly, but after seeing my BFF Vera, who has been a dedicated runner for like a decade, have to be sidelined for almost two years because of a pelvic injury (and go through some pretty insance treatments to work through it), I have an appreciation for just being able to get out there, since for so long she wasn't able to even just run around the block.
ReplyDeleteYeah, that's definitely a good way to keep perspective. I remember doing a fitness challenge at my gym a couple years ago and not being able to run a full city block myself, so I do kind of keep that in mind. Even seeing Bob have to take a break from basically all activity the past few weeks has reminded me that I'm lucky to be out there running and racing.
DeleteAnd, look, you were still able to party hard later in the day! I remember back when 10 miles would wipe me out for the rest of the day. So, yeah, I'd say you've come a long way. Great job!
ReplyDeleteOh yes, definitely, long runs used to be all I could do for that day, and I'd feel awful the next day too. This time it was probably just the combination of 10 miles and 20 beers ;)
DeleteYAY!!! It was so good to see you! Congratulations on your new PR, especially since you were nursing your calf injury and weren't well-trained going into this race. Love the race picture of you with the two thumbs up! That dirndl shirt is really adorable.
ReplyDeleteThe dirndl definitely sparked conversations, or at least a few giggles from the volunteers.
DeleteWhoo for the PR - congrats!
ReplyDeleteThat darn sun. It's really rough! I am glad you felt better than at the half though! (Greatest thing about 10 mile races is not having that last 5K to go...it feels so good, lol!)
I actually kept forgetting it was "only" 10 miles! Like, at mile 8 I thought "ughhhh, I can't do 5 more miles. Oh wait, I don't have to!"
DeleteHah! That's awesome. That has to have been a good pick-me-up right?
DeleteCongrats on your PR! Oh and yeah great shirt.
ReplyDelete