Tuesday, April 5, 2016

2016 Shamrock Shuffle Race Recap

After taking 2015 off (from this race, running, etc.), I was back to do the Shamrock Shuffle this past weekend. When my friend Jessie asked me in February if I wanted to stay downtown with her and do the race, I considered it. After feeling good and strong at the Frosty Footrace 5k, I decided to go for it. With 5 weeks in between the two races, my original intention was to actually train for this race, since I hadn't logged anything even close to the 8k distance since running the R&R Las Vegas Half back in November, 2014. But then winter weather continued to be pretty blah (and by "blah" I mean full of blustery days - because when it's somewhat windy elsewhere in Chicagloand, it's pretty f*cking gusty by me!) and I wondered if maybe I should just enjoy a weekend downtown with my BFF and spectate the race instead. But in the end, I decided to just run the race for fun.

Race prep
Adding to my not-so-high hopes about my race performance was the fact that this weekend ended up being really busy. In addition to the Shuffle, Jessie and I decided to check out xaarlin's Mikkeller Running Club on Saturday. And on Saturday night we had dinner with Jessie's mom and our old roommate and then - just as you do the night before a big race - went to an 80's karaoke bachelorette party. And stayed out way too late. And had too many beers. But what is it the kids say? YOLO?

Sunrise-ish
So as you can imagine, the early hours of race morning were a little rough. Fortunately our hotel was right across the street from Grant Park (and also on the race route), so that made things a lot easier than when I actually lived in Chicago and had to take the CTA down to the race. Which is to say, if I do this race again next year, I will most definitely be playing the part of suburban tourist again and getting a hotel. Being in Wave 2, I was still cozy and warm and finishing my much-needed coffee in our room when the race started at 8:30, which was pretty awesome. I also didn't need to bother with gear check. I just took some hand warmers with me and huddled up with the rest of my very crowded corral before the race started.

I did run outside for a quick photo opp with Jessie and her mom before the Wave 1 start
(then promptly turned around and returned to the hotel)

My current 8k PR of 56:49 was set at the 2014 Shuffle, and given that most of my runs have been in the 12:00-13:00 pace lately, I knew a PR attempt was out of the question. So I set a time goal of 1:05, thinking a 13:00 average pace would be doable, especially if I ended up taking walking breaks because I wasn't prepared for the distance. So when I crossed the start line, I resisted the urge to take off too quickly, as I've done in years past. Slow and steady wins the race. Since my Garmin (like everyone else's, I'm sure) was showing some wonky paces (pretty sure there was no time that I hit a 6:00 pace, despite what my watch showed!), I did my pacing based on feel. I was happy to see that I passed the mile 1 marker at 12:29 - right on target! Since I was feeling so good, my initial plan was to run the first 4 miles at around that pace so I could leave some gas in the tank for a strong finish.

The next few miles ticked away pretty easily, except for the massive wind tunnel during mile 3. But other than that, I was just listening to music, enjoying my time running through the city (something I appreciate a little bit more now that I'm no longer a resident of it), and giving high-fives to everyone I could on the sidelines. I swigged a little Gatorade at the first aid station because I was starting to feel hungry, but that was my only walk break. I hit mile 2 at around the 25:00 mark, so right on pace with the first mile. At that point, I somewhat stopped paying attention to my watch and just continued to run based on feel. I did start speeding up a little once I got through the worst of the wind, just because I felt pretty good and like I could push myself harder than I was. According to Garmin, I ran negative splits in miles 2, 3, and 4, even getting to a sub-11:00 pace for the last two, but I'm not sure how accurate that is. If I was running that fast, it sure didn't feel like it!

I hit mile 4 at around 50:00 in, so I still had 15 minutes to meet my time goal! My legs felt good but were starting to get tired, so I slowed down for the last couple of blocks on Michigan Avenue in preparation of the climb up Roosevelt. I ran that entire thing, and will say, delighted in passing everyone who stopped to walk. All of the involuntary suburban hill training is really paying off! I reached the top of the hill at 1:01:30, so I knew the 1:05 goal was totally in sight. I gunned it as much as I could, passing even more runners in the very long finish chute. My final time was 1:03:30, so 1:30 quicker than I was hoping for!


I'm extremely happy with my time, and even more excited that I was able to run a smart and consistently strong race. I don't know exactly how it's happened, but ever since I came out of running "retirement" earlier this year, I'm more determined and mentally a lot stronger than I was the first time around. Once I really got going in this race, I told myself I wasn't going to take any walk breaks, and I just stuck to it and kept on running. And although the distance seemed a little daunting compared to my usual 2-3 mile runs as of late, I told myself I could do it, and I did. It may be because I do know what I'm capable of doing as a runner if I really try and do the work. Or maybe life making me a stronger person in general over the past couple of years has made me stronger in other areas. I'm not sure, but I do like feeling confident about running again.

14 comments:

  1. Great job on such a strong smart race! Super impressive! Guess your legs remember, huh? And other than the wind a nice day for it too!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh yes, the wind definitely sucked. But it just made me want to move all that faster to get off of that stretch!

      Delete
  2. WOO HOO!!! Way to go, Anne!!! Great job and way to push through!!! That is fantastic that you are feeling confident about running again. Running is SO mental - and confidence is probably 80% of the battle! LOVE those green capris, too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Totally agree! Just feeling like you can keep going, even when it's hard, goes a long way :)

      Delete
  3. Way to finish strong and run a smart race. Also nice job in running up "Mt. Roosevelt" without walking. Hilly roads to train on are a nice benefit of suburban living. Too bad I missed you, but I did not hang around in the "beer garden" too long afterwards.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have to say, running in the city felt SO easy to me both days this weekend - I didn't make the connection right away that it's because it's flat!

      I got cold pretty quickly after the race (since I didn't bring a jacket with me), so I wouldn't have stuck around very long anyway. I'm sure we'll cross paths again :)

      Delete
  4. So awesome!! What a fun way to stay and play in the city for a day (holy rhyming). Passing people late in a race is such a thrill, and it sounds like you got to do a lot of it. Way to go!!! And SUPER awesome you're getting your running confidence back, too! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha, that is a lot of rhyming - you're a poet and you don't even know it! ;)

      I definitely passed a lot of people who had passed me earlier in the race too, which is pretty cool. I didn't used to be able to catch anyone!

      Delete
  5. Great race! Congrats on the negative splits and coming in under your goal time! And after such a tiring Saturday, too! :)

    I love your outfits! So festive! (in April, lol, oh Shamrock)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Yeah, I'll never understand why the race is always so far out from St. Paddy's Day!

      Delete
  6. Yay!!! Great race, Anne! Maybe you did so well because you've stopped doubting yourself? It's so easy for me to say I can't do something but it's all BS! I'm glad you had a great weekend. I love staying downtown for races too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Congrats on beating your goal time and feeling confident and good through the race. (I love your outfits BTW)

    it was so great catching up with you in Saturday :)

    My favorite part of your post is "I told myself I could do it, and I did." I'm going to remember that for my race next weekend. It's solid.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, it's simple enough advice I guess :) You're going to do awesome at Carmel - tell yourself that!

      I'm glad we could catch up! We need to do that again sometime soon!

      Delete

Thanks for reading! Why don't you comment and say hi while you're here?