I’ve written a lot about fresh starts (that’s kind of the
point of this blog these days) and starting over, and another part of that process has been seeing an old place or experiencing the same old thing in a new and different way. Such as earlier this month, when I played suburban tourist to run the Shamrock Shuffle (after years of spectating it and then running it while a city resident). Making new memories. It's good stuff.
This coming Sunday, I’m going to be doing that again by doing
something I’ve never done in my hometown of Toledo, Ohio before – running a 5k.
I try to visit Toledo a few times a year, since my parents and 91 year-old
grandma still live there. I haven’t lived there since I graduated college in
2003, and a lot of things have changed there since that time, but it
still feels like home to me in a lot of ways. So after deciding to go visit in
late April, I checked out Running In The USA just to see if there were any races
nearby that may be fun. Despite my 2015 running and racing hiatus, my interest in
racing has been renewed after a couple of pretty solid races this year, and
after running finally started feeling fun and easy for me again.
The race that I found was the Glass City Marathon, a race
that is celebrating its 40th anniversary this year, but that I had
never heard of until I started running myself in 2012. It even starts and
finishes at the University of Toledo (which I attended), so I have no idea how
it was completely off my radar before. I mean I guess it’s probably because I
wasn’t a runner, so probably didn’t pay attention to things like that. This is also a race that I’ve never been able to do because of scheduling conflicts. It
always falls the same weekend as the Illinois Marathon and Ravenswood Run, both
races that I did in my past life. So I think it’s fitting that a hometown race
would replace my old neighborhood race on the calendar, and nice that I can go run a race at my own college (rather than someone else's, as was the case with the IL Marathon).
I’ve logged about 100 miles since I started running again at
the end of January, which certainly isn’t the kind of mileage I was logging
before, but when combined with boxing, strength training and lots of walking, is enough for me to have gotten back into pretty decent running
shape very quickly. My last 4 runs have been hovering around (and even under!) the 12:00 pace, even on my hilliest of suburban routes (as a reminder, 12:00 was my normal pace for a long time while I was running before). That’s a pretty significant improvement from my 13:35 pace when I started back in January, which goes to show what
happens when you’re consistent (and are losing weight – I’m down almost 20
pounds since then, which can’t be hurting my time).
So all of that said, I’ll
be looking for a post-retirement PR (PRPR – yay acronyms!). My time in the
Frosty Footrace 5k on 2/28 was 39:51 (average pace 12:39). That
was almost 2 months and about 50 miles ago, and that course was hilly
and it was really windy that day, so not ideal conditions. The Glass City course is pretty flat, with just one big hill that’s about a 25 foot incline
(which is not even as steep as the hill in my own neighborhood), and
there’s a downhill at around the 3 mile mark, so I definitely have that going for me.
The current forecast is partly cloudy and 40-45 degrees, which is right
in my running temperature sweet spot, so I'm feeling good about my chances. I'm still working out a strategy and definitive time goal, but my loose (and hopefully attainable) goal is 36:00.
![]() |
| How's that for some measurable progress? |
More than anything though, I'm excited to run the streets of my hometown, and I'm excited to be going into a race feeling good again (which is a nice change from the feelings of dread and anxiety that I've had going into the last couple of races).
Have you raced in your hometown before?


That is awesome progress!! WTG! And PRPR, love it. Ha! I am happy you are looking forward to racing! And this sounds like a perfect replacement for what you've done for races this weekend in years past :)
ReplyDeleteI've raced 5Ks in my hometown! They were off my radar too, as I wasn't a runner when I lived there. I enjoy it! I end up seeing people I knew from school, or people my parents knew, and I can usually get a family member to participate too! There is a half in my hometown I'd love to do but it never works with my schedule.
PRPR is a thing because I say it is LOL :) And I do feel like a totally different runner this time around!
DeleteThat sounds fun! I should see a few people I know on Sunday too (including my mom's cousin who ran the women's half in 2013). I hope the half works for you one of these years! Glass City has a half too, which is at the top of my list if I ever feel like doing that kind of distance again.
That's awesome! I have heard of that run before but haven't ever done it. Toledo is a bit of a haul from where my family is (Akron), but Woohoo Ohio!! Really glad you're doing it this year. I love your perspective on it, too. You'll do great. Enjoy the experience!
ReplyDeleteYay Ohio! I've heard that it's a pretty well-run race (and they do promote it s a good BQ race since the course is fast and flat), so I'm excited to finally check it out. And nice to do the race I want to do this weekend :)
DeleteGood luck with your PRPR and congrats on the 20 lbs. since January! I have raced a 5k in my hometown a couple of times and it is really fun to race in the streets of the town I grew up in. However, they now hold it the same weekend as the Chicago Marathon, so I can never do it. Anyway, you probably know what kind of a strategy I would suggest (i.e. negative splits), but if I were running it I would really consider "opening it up" at about mile 2.5, once I crested that hill. Everyone else will be gassed at that point and you will have fun picking off lots of winded runners! Whatever strategy you choose, good luck and have fun!
ReplyDeleteOh, bummer about the timing! Maybe they'll change the date one of these years!
DeleteYes, negative splits was definitely the plan! And I've been thinking about that hill for sure - you know how much I love dusting people on (and I guess just after) hills, ha ha :)
I don't really have a hometown because I moved around a lot as a kid, but I've never done a race in any of the towns I lived in prior to graduate school. Good luck and congrats on getting back into running and feeling fitter and faster!
ReplyDeleteOr maybe you just have multiple hometowns :)
DeleteMy hometown is too small to host any kind of race, LOL! But how awesome that you get to race in yours! I saw that you CRUSHED it out there and I am dying to read your full recap! Congratulations on feeling good again - I am so thrilled for you!!!!!!!!!!
ReplyDeleteAre you sure about that? If towns like Round Lake and Wauconda have their own 5k, I'm sure yours could :)
DeleteThanks!! The recap is done, but I'm waiting for the race pictures!